Mac Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigbro1096, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Well my dad recently brought home a 21.5" iMac from his wort to play with, thats where this post is coming from, and I like it a lot but then I looked at Apple.com and now have a huge dilemma! I can either get the 13.3" MacBook Pro for $1,199 or the 21.5" iMac for $1,199. I mean the obvious choice would be the iMac but I don't know yet. Tonight I plan on doing some research but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thank you for your time.

2. DudeMartin macrumors regular

What would you use the Mac's for (where and how, also)?

3. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well none of my friends/ grandmas house has wifi so the only place i would be able to use a macbook pro is at home, like the iMac, and i will be using the iMac for the same stuff on the MacBook Pro which is student documents, internet usage, syncing my iDevices, and to show off, etc. i do have an iPad though so i was thinking after seeing that they are the same price that getting a MacBook Pro which is almost just like the iPad would be insufficient. sorry about the rush but its almost my bed time :) lol

4. Barnzee macrumors regular

I think you should go with the iMac. the 13" macbook pro just isn't enough screen real estate for my taste.

5. thegilly macrumors member

Huh? The point of a laptop is that you can use it anywhere, whether or not you have access to the internet or mains power. You say you want to use it for student things--can't you think of any situations where you might want to use it away from home? Sitting in the library, perhaps, or at the park? You'll never want to go to a friend's place to study and not want to have to lug 10 kilograms of computer with you? You're right, it does sound pointless paying a premium for a portable computer if you're not going to, well, port it... but most people with laptops DO find themselves wanting to move around with them. My four-month-old MBP has never yet left the range of our home wifi network, but even so I use it in all kinds of different places, bed, kitchen table, couch, out on the patio, which I couldn't do with an iMac.

Second, wifi isn't the only way that a Mac can access the internet. Other people in your family and friends circle may not have wifi, but they may have internet access you could plug into. The Apple Airport Express is also very portable and requires no setup to turn someone's wired home network wireless during your visit. And wireless access over cellphone networks in your area may not be laughably expensive like it is here. ;-)

I urge you to think this through and be absolutely certain that you'll never require true portability from your Mac. I don't know anyone who has a laptop and leaves it sitting on their desk all day, every day... but if you ARE going to be one of those people, well, yes, you'll get much more bang for your buck buying an iMac.

6. BigGroll macrumors member

After reading your uses, you should really just take a look at a refurb Macbook, truth be told you could get by with a 3 year old Macbook!

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

A true Mac user. Then you should definitely get the MacBook Pro: It has a lit logo. Even in the dark, people will know that you wear Gucci. Ahem, sorry, I meant 'use an Apple'.

Sorry, but I can't take this whole thing serious anymore.

8. viizi macrumors regular

The sensible view is do you need portability or not. The show off view is the MBP for style but you could also get mugged lol. iMacs look so sexy on desks

9. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

im sorry but maybe you didnt read the post all the way. i have an iPad which is just like a MacBook so why would i pay the same price for a 13.3" 2.4 Ghz vs a 21.5" 3.2 ghz? no trying to sound mean but i tried to specify that

10. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had an acer before my iPad and the acer NEVER left my house so it seems pointless. and laptops feel awkward being well in your lap

oh i hate to sound like a rich snob because im not rich but i hate used things. it makes me feel like cheating thats why i got a regular iPad instead of a refurb

thats okay but with us teens especially because of the school district im in everything is about showing off and well trying to show off a little 13.3 inch macbook pro that wont leave my house seems extremely pointless

I agree i love the look of the iMacs and i dont need portability as i have the ipad for that.

I understand that to adults this may seem funny but many have to agree they use to be the best as a child.

11. BigGroll macrumors member

I hate to say it, but my god do you sound like a rich little snob

12. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i thought i would : (

13. BigGroll macrumors member

Hey, I wasn't trying to make fun of you or anything, I was just speaking my mind. I'm assuming you aren't paying for all this yourself. If you are, then I eat my words. But either way, if you already have an Ipad, just get the Imac. You will enjoy the additional screen size, if nothing else. Besides, if you want to show off, the Ipad is better than the MBP, in my humble opinion ;)

14. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i hate sounding rich cause my family is only upper class, and im the one that buys my apple products. for my iphone 4 & 3gs i mowed lawns, but my dad pays for service, and on my ipad i saved up like $300 so my dad pitched in the rest and then i plan on skipping the iphone this year and save that money and am trying to find a job because im legally allowed to in order to pay for the iMac. i thought i would get the basic iMac because of the reasons you stated