Mac Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stetwin, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

After getting a promotion at work last week it means that my Mac purchase might be a lot sooner then I had anticipated, anyway I’m stuck with a few options really so just though I would post them and see which you guys would go with :)

Option 1:

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AirPort Extreme Base Station and a Canon Selphy DS810 - £1,482.95

Option 2:

13-inch MacBook (Black) - 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM, Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel) and a Canon Selphy DS810 - £1,522.95

Option 3:

iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM and a Canon Selphy DS810 - £1,533.96

Option 4:

iMac, 20-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM, Apple wired Mighty Mouse, Apple Keyboard (white) – English, AirPort Extreme Base Station and a Canon Selphy DS810 - £1,356.95

I know there are loads of other options, but out of the ones I’ve listed which would you go for?

The system will be used for Photoshop work, internet browsing, music and other day to day tasks but nothing intense (video editing, gaming etc).

Feel free to chop and change things but im only looking to spend about £1500 on the full system, also i know i have listed some portable systems and some that are not, portability would be nice for my photography but it is not a necessity

/Ste

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you don't particularly need/want portability, and the 200-300 pound difference between the prices isn't very salient, I guess I'd go for Option (3), since it seems Photoshop work is important to you and it gives you the single largest display.

Although... just a random aside, I googled the printer (because I figured it was a camera, and I wasn't familiar with that model)... C|Net called the print quality "mediocre."

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

In terms of what you're using it for (PS being the most intensive app), any of those machines would be fine.

It terms of what people would advise, you're going to get very different personal opinions (and I suspect most will be based on what they've got) as you've left your requirements open.

I would say though:

Have you thought about a refurb? You could save about £200 off the cost of a 24" iMac.

Thought about waiting for the new iMacs? The next revision will be soon...

Installing the RAM yourself? It's not clear whether you would be buying the 2GB already installed, but if you are, you're throwing money away!

Thought about a non-Apple external monitor? That would be cheaper and you can get some great models.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i also would go with option 3. it gives you both power and screen space.

option 1 does not give you enough screen space.
    option 2 does not give you enough power.
    option 4 gives you a smaller screen plus the airport extreme, but since you didn't include it in every option, it seems it's not a necessity.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't been following the refurb store recently (let alone in the UK), but if the iMac 24" is available in refurb at a substantially lower price, that would make that one my suggestion even more so....

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

If the most intensive thing the OP is using is PS, he'll be more than fine with that. In terms of (non-graphically) processing power, it's about the same as the previous revision of MBPs, personally I wouldn't call them underpowered by today's standar's but maybe that's just me.

7. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

The RAM I included was apple installed and the reason I didn’t consider refurbished Mac’s is because I might be able to get a friend to get me it all on HE Discount

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

In the UK, it seems to be permanently available.. I've too much time on my hands :p

I've just checked, it's actually £170 cheaper (13%), which I reckon isn't too shabby.

9. Blueprint macrumors member

I would say go with option 2, it will give you the portability if you need it but still give you the option to do some work on the bigger screen at home. Also don’t let people tell you it’s underpowered, it will run all of your needs with absolutely no problems :)

Oh and the ACD is an absolutely beautiful display and if you can afford it in this set up then I would say grab it with both hands because it wont need replacing for many years to come :)

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

Well, the HE discount varies but 14% is a good ballpark figure - however you also get a three-year parts and labour free warranty from there (as opposed to the regular education store). For the laptops, this is a big bonus - for the iMacs, less so but it's worth having.

BTW, with the refurb store, you sometimes get a machine that's better than as Apple listed it (e.g. more RAM) - it's a lottery and probably wouldn't get anything, but it's worth knowing.

RAM is still very expensive though - you would get a decent saving going third-party, so do that.

11. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

How “safe” is going 3rd party because the last thing I would want to do is install it myself and cause a problem with my new computer

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

Totally!

To qualify that sweeping statement, buy RAM from a reputable dealer (I like Crucial myself). It's unlikely, but if you get any bad RAM, you won't be harming the machine itself.

Installing it is very easy and, unless you've decided to superglue the RAM in, it's nigh on impossible to do damage.

If you visit Apple's support site, there will be PDF manuals to show you what to do, plus I'm sure that youtube would have one or two tutorials to do this.

Have a look - it should put your mind at rest!

13. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Does the black macbook come with 1x1 GB stick or two 2x512 sticks? Also is it worth all the hassle to purchase it and install it?

14. Igantius macrumors 65816

Comes with 2x512MB.

From Crucial UK, 2x1GB costs about £56, which is approximately half of what it costs from Apple already installed. It's a quick job to install and as you'll using PS, you would definitely be better off going with 2GB.

15. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

That is a good saving but the only thing is I will still be a little iffy messing about with something I just paid £1000 for, I think I might be safer and more confident going with the apple installed stuff

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you don't feel comfortable, I guess, you can either buy third party memory and pay a local store to do it, or just pay more for Apple memory. It's not the end of the world to pay a little more for Apple memory.

Although...once you've done it once, it honestly takes less than ten minutes to add memory to a notebook computer. :)

17. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i didn't say the MB was underpowered. i said i didn't think it was powerful enough. whether the OP agrees with that and bases his decision on that opinion of mine is his decision. i have used CPU- and GPU-intensive apps on both a MBP and MB and it is clear which one is the better performer.