Mac disconnects (and reconnects) external display when moved or pushed on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hyperipod, Jan 19, 2014.

1. hyperipod macrumors member

Hello,

I have a 15" 2010 MacBook Pro I'm using with a mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter to connect to an external display.

It's been a while since I connected any display but today it's been acting really oddly because it will disconnect (and reconnect sometimes) the external display when:

-I apply a bit of pressure below or to the left of the keyboard or pretty much anywhere on the Mac
    -When I hit my beloved laptop (not too hard though, of cooooouuuuuurse)

I don't suspect the problem is related to the adapter or the VGA cable because I tried it with a 2013 MacBook Air and everything was working perfectly.

Any idea what's wrong and what I can do?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. hyperipod thread starter macrumors member

Well I don't have a lot of them hanging around.. (only 1, actually)

LOL I FIXED IT!

I put a post it right over the mini displayport adapter over the motherboard and it seems to have fixed it for real... May fix some other problems I had too...

Thanks though!

4. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

It may still be the adapter, but could also be an issue with your computer's port. I'd do some extensive testing with another machine and/or another adapter before making too many big decisions.

Also, what brand of adapter is it?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I'm not sure what you mean - although, in my mind, I see a folded up piece of paper (a Post-it note?) jammed in with the adapter plug, to keep it from moving. Do I have the right idea?

Either your adapter is slightly bent, or worn loose, or the internal mDP socket is wearing out. A different adapter may fit better, and that's why I recommended that. The folded paper trick may turn out to be short-lived, so I still think your should consider a new adapter...

6. hyperipod thread starter macrumors member

The Apple MDP to VGA

----------

I actually put the post in in the case between the motherboard and the aluminium cover...