Mac Display connections - DVI-I, DVI-D, DVI-A

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tipster, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Tipster macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and just acquired a Macbook Air for presenting slides to clients. I will be travelling around, visiting clients - some will have old displays, some brand new displays. I would like to connect the Macbook to these various displays for a bigger view of the presentation slides.

Mini DisplayPort to VGA (will cover a lot of projectors and Windows displays etc) - no problems here, I will need this adapter.

Mini DisplayPort to DVI - this is the problem. According to the reviews on the Apple Store their adapter only works with DVI-D (which in turn is only present on newer displays). What DVI do I need for older Mac display equipment? Is it DVI-I or DVI-A?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

To be honest, I have never seen a display with DVI-A. VGA + DVI-D should be enough.

3. Tipster thread starter macrumors newbie

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

That might be the Apple Studio Display, which used ADC (Apple Display Connector). Apple LCD displays that did not use ADC used DVI-D, so I concur with Hellhammer's advice.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It is the Apple mini display, but I can't vouch for it, I would think that most of your clients will accept projection via VGA.