mac displays vs hdtvs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ralphie-8, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ralphie-8 macrumors newbie

I was looking at buying a mac pro,and was curious of which type of display to get. I will be mainly using it for photography. i have used an Imac but have been told that using a 1080 flat screen is just as good What do you think?

2. simsaladimbamba

If you mean HDTVs with !1080p flatscreen" then stay away from TVs, as they are not good monitors.
    If you are serious about photography, you should look into IPS displays, like the Dell U2412M for not much money.
    There are of course other IPS monitors out there, the Dell is just one of the more affordable one, they can also be had for 800 to 3000 USD.
    And again, a TV, regardless of its resolution (and especially the bigger diagonal the worse quality), is NOT a good computer monitor.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. toddybody Guest

toddybody

1080p TV is nothing like using a 1080p computer display.

1080p may be 1080p, but the size of the display is whats going to make using a TV problematic. Folks who use TV's as computer displays always have to place them much farther from their sitting position, whereas computer monitors can be used within your desk area (this varies on screen size and resolution: DPI). Display tech is also very important, as mentioned above. NO LCD/LED TV is going to match a good IPS display.

Anyways, a commenter above made a great recommendation with the Dell Ultrasharp. You can actually find their 23" around $220.00. no tax + FS. I'd get two of those for a Mac Pro. Granted, the best thing would be a 1440p or 1600p monitor, but those are pretty expensive. Good Luck!

4. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

there's that korean 1440p monitor on ebay if you do a quick search here. I believe it was around 400.

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I tried using my 40" 1080p Sony TV as an external display for my Macbook while my iMac was in for repair. Image quality was certainly not as good as I wanted it to be. I believe there is a lot of image processing that cannot be turned off, compromising the use as a monitor.