Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyuk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me please:

I have two Macs (and old one with USB-3 ports and a newer one with USB-C/Thunderbolt ports).

I am looking to be able to use both (separately) to connect to my two LCD monitors at my desk (the monitors have HMDI, DVI and VGA ports).

I am struggling to find a dock or adapter that will let me connect each Mac (separately) using USB-3 or USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.

I’m a bit of a novice at trying to set up a workstation in this way for homeworking but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

andyuk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Just to confirm you want one dock that lets you attach to computers and switch between them?

Thanks for your reply Robbie.

Yes, that is correct - I'd like a dock (or adapter) that I can use with both Macs (not at same time though) to connect to my two screens. Thanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Sounds like you basically want a KVM. One keyboard/mouse/pair of screens and multiple computers. Not sure on the thunderbolt/USB3 part: are you hoping to share further peripherals too?

andyuk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
I have an Apple keyboard and Mouse but these will connect to both my Macs via Bluetooth. So all I really need is to make both Macs link up with the screens - sometimes I will use the old Mac (USB-3) and other times the new Mac (Thunderbolt).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Will the bluetooth keyboard/mouse not be a pain? You will need to re-pair them every time to switch. Are you hoping to connect via USB3/Thunderbolt to the dock/KVM then to the screens or via HDMI/DVI?

andyuk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
>> Will the bluetooth keyboard/mouse not be a pain? You will need to re-pair them every time to switch.

It may be but I'm happy with this for now (that may change though!)

>> Are you hoping to connect via USB3/Thunderbolt to the dock/KVM then to the screens or via HDMI/DVI?

Yes, I want to find a way that will allow me to connect my Macs (separately) to the dock via USB3/Thunderbolt. The screens will then be connected to the dock.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
>> Will the bluetooth keyboard/mouse not be a pain? You will need to re-pair them every time to switch.

It may be but I'm happy with this for now (that may change though!)

>> Are you hoping to connect via USB3/Thunderbolt to the dock/KVM then to the screens or via HDMI/DVI?

Yes, I want to find a way that will allow me to connect my Macs (separately) to the dock via USB3/Thunderbolt. The screens will then be connected to the dock.

OK, then I think I am out. I am not aware of any solution that would allow you to connect via USB3 then to the screens via HDMI/DVI/VGA for two computers
[automerge]1584449147[/automerge]
Did a little searching. I think this is basically what you want? https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-c...playPort-USB3DDOCKFT-Black/dp/B011NLY5J6?th=1

Not sure it will work with your screens without a further adaptor but it basically does what you want: connect two devices via USB 3 and have dual screen output. Also no idea on Mac compatibility

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.