.Mac? Does it do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BiikeMike, Aug 19, 2007.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I've been looking into .Mac, since I'm looking into an iPhone and I hear that the .Mac mail works the best with it.

I also understand that it will keep my mail, calendars, and contacts up to date between my two computers (and iPhone if I get one)

I have been looking for a way to keep files in sync between my mac pro, and my MacBook Pro. I am on the road....a LOT, and I have some important things I need to keep synced between the two. Mainly my business files, and my Quickbooks file.

Is .Mac intellegent enough to keep the most up to date version of the same file on both computers? Say I make some changes in Quickbooks on my Mac Pro and then i'm on the road and want to see them in my MBP. Then I update something on my MBP and want to see it on my MP. Will it keep single files in sync?

Thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, .mac does not sync files or folders (I use Chronosync for that purpose)

3. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Cool, thanks for the info and the suggestion of the other program. From looking at their website, it seems that you can only sync the computers if they are in the same house. I'm looking for something that I can use if I am halway across the country

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, Chronosync will sync between any two computers anywhere in the world, provided you can connect to the other machine.

5. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

.mac works from any computer and syncs your computers whenever they have internet access. I sync mine form Europe and when I come home the first time i connect on my home desktop, it has all the new contacts, etc. that I entered on my laptop in Europe.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, but it wont sync files and folders. Only contacts, calendars, etc

7. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Like you, I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro. Sync'ing files or folders is relatively easy -- Chronosync, Synchronize Plus and other programs will do that.

You could do it with .Mac -- if you kept the files on .Mac instead of in your Documents folder, and if you turn iDisc syncing on. There are some downsides to doing it this way, particularly if you have large files and slow upload speeds.

Be sure you distinguish between syncing and merging. Programs like Quicken or Quickbooks create a database. If you make changes to that database on your Mac Pro and different changes to that database on your MBP, the sync will not merge all of those changes into 1 database. You will lose one set of the changes.

8. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Doesn't .Mac in Leopard change this problem from what we saw in the demo?