Mac does not boot ErrNo 5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ILONA Z, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ILONA Z macrumors newbie

Hi, Can anybody please could help me with this issue? I have done back up on time machine day before. Does all my files are safe than? Sorry, I have very little knowledge about computers. Thank you:)

Attached Files:

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i think your hard disk is fried

i did not even look up what those errors meant, but from the look of the screen , i think it means your hard drive is completely shot and it needs to be replaced

you did a real good job of keeping it backed up to time machine

replace the hard disk, and reinstall mac os x.

how to make a bootable usb key .
    have someone at the apple store or another person with a mac help you
    http://www.macworld.com/article/236...otable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

check warranty status
    maybe its under warranty or you have applecare.
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

once mac os x is reinstalled, you can restore it from time machine
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14111

if the hard disk was purchased from another source except apple, like if you installed this disk yourself, please write back. it might be covered under a separate warranty from the original drive manufacturer

---
    once you find a bootable usb key and use that to boot your computer (either by holding down the option key or holding down the c key ) it might be possible that disk utility will fix that,, but i wouldn't even bother. it looks totally shot to me , i don't think disk utility would fix it and you should throw out the had disk.

----------

after reading the screen your hard disk is shot and it is reporting bad sectors.
    replace hard drive

there is no other real diagnosis or utilities you should run. its dead and put a fork in it, and buy a new hard drive.

however

if this hard drive was a drive you put in, you need to get the driive utilities from the hard disk manufacturer and give them the error codes to have the hard drive replaced under warranty.

these programs are free to download. they have names like
    SEATOOLS
    Hitachi DFT
    Western digital lifeguard diagnostics.

don't spend any money on "s.m.a.r.t. checkers." they are useless. your paying $$ for an application that is freely given away by the manufacturer of the hard disk

you only need these utilities ( and probably a windows machine ) if the drive was purchased separately and installed by you or someone else, and that hard disk came in a retail box

----------

every single hard drive manufactured since IDE came put ( or what you guys call PATA which was before SATA ) , this would be cover about 25 years i would say, uses automatic error correction and detection. how this works is if the hard drive finds a bad sector, it moves the data to a spare sector, and does not inform the host operating system. it just fixes itself and never tells you anything. all defects on the hard drive when it was shipped are hidden to you. read write errors are automatically corrected without you knowing about it

when your operating system reports a bad sector, it is because the hard drive has ran out of bad sectors, and it is no longer reliable, and it is shot and it needs to be replaced.

further more, hard drives have "s.m.a.r.t". once the derive says this smart has failed, the drive is considered shot.

if you boot a usb key, you might be able to check the smart sensor by clickng on about this mac , system report,. but i from looking at the error screen, i think that would be a waste of time , and i would just replace the hard drive,.

if your computer is under warranty or appecare, apple will be glad to replace your hard disk

if your no longer under warranty you need to buy a new hard drive

if you bought that hard disk in a retail box and then installed it in your computer, then you need to get those previously mentioned utilizes, write down the serial # and the failure code and get the manufacturer to replace the drive under their warranty

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if anyone writes back here or the apple store tells you all you need to do is renistall mac os x , or reset pram or smc, or repair permissions,

please politely ignore them and shake your head

4. ILONA Z thread starter macrumors newbie

Man you are STAR!!! I have not expected such precise answers on this problem. This laptop is old and has no warranty. I thought I will try to change disc myself but I have crazy deadlines so I will go to computer repair place and just let them to change disc.

Computer was working absolutely fine but my intuition told me day before to use time machine and to create recovery system on usb?! That is so lucky:)

Now I know what to do and what is wrong, THANK YOU!!! LOL xxx

5. ILONA Z thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so disc was replaced. I have used migration manager and then I run time machine. after I have restart computer and try to launch from Time Machine but my password does not working and can not log in....

What now than? Is disc was mounted correctly? Thank you

6. rigormortis, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

you can't boot a time machine disk !!!

what you do is you erase your internal hard dsk

reinstall mac os x

during setup it will ask you to import from time machine

and it should search / find your time machine disk.

it may do two things, i forget. its been a while

it will ask you for your password that you use to login to your computer, which you should know

if it asks you for a password because your time machine disk was encrypted, i hope you remembered it.

if you encrypted your time machine disk and forgot the password, you can boot up the old hard disk , and get it from "keychain access" which is in the utilities dir

when you install Mac Os X Yosemite for the very first time on a brand new computer, what people consider a "clean install from scratch ", unless you are paying attention, your password to your computer is now your iCloud account password. if you can't logon to your computer because you don't know its password, try your iCloud account