Mac does not play .mov files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Oct 9, 2014.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Something gone wrong with my osx (10.9) and I cannot play .mov files.
    When I try to open a mov file, it displays me a message from Quicktime, titled 'coverting...'.
    This is not normal.

I try to open file with video players like movist or vlc, they always opened mov files, always!
    I suspect that 'cleanmymac' maybe trashed something useful.
    Because when I attach an external hard disk with cloned image of my osx system, but in a previous state, the mov files are opened, with movist or vlc player running not from internal hard disk but from the external one. I shut down the external hard disk, I try to open files, the 'converting' message of Quicktime appears.
    It makes me feel strange because I think that especially vlc, does not depend on codecs, I think it have anything it needs by itself.
    I tried repairing disk permissions but nothing changed.

What goes wrong and what should I do to fix it?

2. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I just found this
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6055
    and it is my problem.
    Wth?
    Is Apple serious?
    For the first time in my apple chronicles, should I wait lots of minutes every time I want to play .mov files?
    If this is true it is ridiculous and I should find ways to avoid .mov files at all!

3. Maximara macrumors member

Maximara

No just use VLC instead. I have found it to be far more robust then quicktime especially with the strange codecs coming out of the windows world.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, Apple is serious and it is a very good thing. You need convert each video only once. Videos using those older source codecs will soon disappear eliminating the need for conversion.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Or use QT7.

6. Mydrivec macrumors member

Are there any other options since Conversion fails every time for me?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm alright keeping the .mov files provided I can play them. If not, I'll convert but I've tried a couple free ones from the app store and they don't see .mov files as valid source files.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

7. Maximara macrumors member

Maximara

I again point to VLC Media Player. It's open source and has played every .mov file I have thrown at it.

VLC also has an convert feature.

8. Mydrivec macrumors member

I'll try the convert feature in VLC but I've already tried it. VLC gives a message to the effect that it can't play the file and there are no codec updates available to fix it.

Usually VLC is my go to player as well.

9. Mydrivec macrumors member

Update...I broke down and purchased FlipforMac for $29...works fine now. Well worth my time not to play around for hours

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Congratulations on fixing your problem. However, if Flip4Mac is the solution then your video track format is WMV and not a traditional .mov format.

11. Mydrivec, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

Mydrivec macrumors member

Now that is interesting...of course you are correct and I agree. HOWEVER...my .wmv files play fine on VLC while my .mov files will not play. The .mov files play fine on Flip4Mac (in fact, Flip4Mac plays both fine). So maybe the program that encoded them (the newest was a few years ago) packaged them incorrectly?

Most of the files I have were recorded with a Logitec webcam. They range from a few minutes to an hour or so and are interviews with extended family as part of a family tree project. The original files were WMV but I used Quicktime 7 to shorten some of the longer cuts (removing any discussions not directly related to family for later review) and those are the .mov files.

Maybe the quicktime conversion was the issue? EDIT: It was QT 7 used to resize the originals as I recall. I no longer have the program though.