MAC doesnt enter recovery after format

Discussion in 'macOS' started by utkarshrai265, Sep 7, 2015.

1. utkarshrai265 macrumors newbie

So I have MacBook pro 13" 2011. (4gb ram, 350gb HDD, intel i5)
    soon after the Yosemite upgrade the system became unresponsive and slow, even the cursor lagged and boot would take a long time.
    So I decided to format and reinstall OSX from the recovery using the internet.
    now here is what I did-
    booted into recovery, and formatted the mac os extended (journaled).
    After that I reinstalled Yosemite, but while the installation almost at 95 percent it got stuck , I waited 2-3 hours but there was no activity. I checked the install log the last message was 3 hours ago, I don't remember the message but it was an error.
    so I decided to reboot in recovery again and restart the installation again.
    Now,
    if I try to enter the recovery mode using command+R ,the apple logo appears and the loading bar but it gets stuck at around 40 percent , I tried atleast 10 times and waited for 3-4 hours but it was no good
    I also cleared the pram with command + option+ P+R, still everything is same.
    if I boot normally I get the prohibitory sign. I also cleared smc
    what should I do... please respond soon.
    thanks.
    PS. I don't have any other mac device or any disk with mac os.
    I'm using a windows 10 laptop right now.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I suspect the problem is relating to the HDD, although it could be the RAM. This can quickly be checked within the operating system, however as it's not even booting into the recovery partition, there's not much you can do.

Therefore what I'd recommend is:

1) Purchase a USB SATA dock, something like this.

2) Remove the hard-drive from your Mac (though don't worry about removing the battery cable) and plug the HDD into the dock.

3) Once it's plugged in, ensure it's being detected by the computer by opening Disk Management and ensuring the volume shows there (Windows+R, diskmgmt.msc) - as it's formatted for Mac OS it won't show up as a partition in Computer.

4) Verify the SMART data of the HDD by downloading HD Tune Pro and then clicking the 'Health' tab. Anything other than 'OK' on the health status at the bottom-left means the HDD on your Mac is corrupted and you'll need to replace it.

5) If that shows as OK, download MemTest and make it bootable through a USB drive. Plug it into your Mac and hold 'Alt' on startup, then run MemTest overnight to verify the RAM is OK.

It's either the RAM or the HDD, so the instructions above should verify which component is faulty.

3. utkarshrai265 thread starter macrumors newbie

ill try that ...anyways I booted in single user mode and ran fsck - fy , it says that the base volume appears to be fine

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Often the volume will show as being OK but the HDD will still be corrupted. Good that you checked though.

5. utkarshrai265 thread starter macrumors newbie

getting a usb dock will take a little time..
    until then what are my options?
    can I create some bootable media (cd/usb)
    or anything else?

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Well you can install OS X onto a USB drive and boot into that to run some diagnostics.

Try holding CMD + ALT + R on startup to boot into Internet Recovery (preferably plugin via Ethernet). This'll take some time depending on the speed of your Internet. From there you'll be able to install OS X onto a USB disk. Quote this if you're in Internet Recovery and we'll run over some instructions for how to get that sorted.

7. utkarshrai265 thread starter macrumors newbie

SO I got into internet recovery.
    so in disk utility I ran repair. no issues were found.
    so I formatted it.
    when trying to reinstall OS X LION (idk why lion)
    it says that the item is unavailable when trying to access from the app store.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It'll install Lion because that was the original OS that came with your computer. The HDD may well be corrupted which is why it'll be best to install on USB first to run diagnostics. Disk Utility can often show as being clean, even when the HDD is corrupted.

Plug in a USB pendrive and format through Disk Utility, then click Install OS X Lion and set it to install to that pendrive. Otherwise you can still reinstall to your HDD but please be aware that we'll still need to run diagnostics after doing that.

Can you photograph the error message you get when trying to install Lion?

9. utkarshrai265 thread starter macrumors newbie

it says "This item is temporarily unavailable. try again later"

10. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Typical ****ing Apple, not supporting any OS over a couple years old. Lemme have a search of that issue and get back to you.

11. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Bad news I'm afraid, no way around it other than reimaging with a different OS.

I'd suggest either contacting Apple's telephone support and explaining the situation or popping into an Apple Store, even if you're out of warranty I'm sure they'd sort an OS installation out free-of-charge if you explain the situation. The issue is with Apple's servers.

12. utkarshrai265 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm obliged that you are trying to help
    anyways can I get a time machine backup from the internet and put it in my usb drive and try restoring.
    can I get a clean mavericks/Yosemite(or any) system backup from the internet?

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

There are ways you can make a bootable Yosemite image, but you still need a Mac & the App Store to download Yosemite.

In all honesty there aren't any legit channels that you can go through that I know of, even though Yosemite is a free download.

I'll drop you a PM with some other ideas ;)

14. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

3/4 hours may not have been long enough. I have restored my system several times being a newish Mac user - and have been stuck several times. I did nothing but walk away. The following day - and I'm talking 18 hours later - the install was complete. Never reboot in the middle of an install. Give it more time even though it looks stuck it probably isn't.
    I'm sorry I cant advise you how to fix. It will take a reformat of the internal hard drive. Maybe buy a usb external drive and put the system on that using the command r technique. Once complete, you can reformat the drive inside your device. But again, I am a newbie to Mac.
    Try again and leave it overnight.

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

I'd suggest OS 10.8.5 "Mountain Lion" as the best OS to run on an older MacBook or MacBook Pro that DOES NOT have an SSD installed into it.

By the very fact that you had problems and created this thread, you are finding out why having a "fully-bootable backup" of some sort might have saved you all sorts of trouble. Something to think about for the future.

If you can't download Mountain Lion from the "official" Apple site, you may need to "go elsewhere". I will receive howls of disapproval from others in this forum for suggesting that, but when you're trying to get up-and-running again, you got to do what you got to do.

16. utkarshrai265 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I got this 32 gb pendrive (usb 3.0) and created the bootable media following the instructions.
    then when I start my mac with the usb plugged in , pressing options while turning on. I get to some page with a drive with USB symbol and wifi options.
    when I boot with the USB , a loading screen appears soon after which I get the prohibitory sign .
    what should I do now
    please note that the pendrive is USB 3.0 and my mac ports are all 2.0

17. utkarshrai265 thread starter macrumors newbie

[Solution]
    I took the macbook to apple and they installed OSX mavericks.
    The HDD is fine and healthy.
    i think all i needed to fix it was to boot from an OS X disk(that i did not have) and reinstall it.
    anyways how can i make a backup disk for it ? (im a newbie to mac)
    can i use a 8.5 GB disk?
    what options do i have?
    time machine backup? i don't want a daily/weekly backup. I want just one time
    backup so that i can use it if something like this happens again.
    Thanks everyone for their help.
    and thank you Keysofanxiety for your constant support and help.

18. Fishrrman macrumors G3

How to make a bootable backup drive:

1. Get the drive, or put one together yourself using a USB3 enclosure (I suggest 2.5") and the hard drive of your choosing.

2. Connect the drive to your Mac.

3. Open Disk Utility and initialize the drive (use HFS+ with journaling enabled)

4. Download CarbonCopyCloner from:
    https://bombich.com/download
    CCC is FREE to download and it is FREE to use for 30 days (fully-functional)

5. Launch CCC. It may require a few clicks to get setup.

6. Put your source drive (internal) on the left, and your target (external) on the right in CCC's window.
    NOTE: I suggest you also let CCC clone the recovery partition as well.

7. Let CCC do its thing.

8 When done, quite CCC and test your backup. Reboot and hold down the option key until the startup manager appears, then select the external drive and hit return.

Do you get a good boot?
    If so, you've created a BOOTABLE backup cloned drive of your internal drive.