Mac doing an automatic download, why?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zowenso, Oct 13, 2012.

1. zowenso macrumors member

Wonder if i could get any input on this? Ebay recently made some changes to its site, it appears to just be the font on the logo. However, since they made this change, while on ebay, the download window keeps popping up roughly every hour and its showing a html down load from ebay. When i view this down load its the main page of ebay. I originally trashed it but it came back, so i left it. I was hoping that if i left it, it wouldnt keep doing this download, but it does. Any idea why this would be happening? or how i could stop it? Thanks.

2. orvn macrumors 6502

Screenshot it, cmd+shift+4

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not getting any download on the eBay main page. There are two settings you need to check in Safari.

Safari > Preferences > General > Open "safe" files after downloading (UNcheck this)
    Safari > Preferences > Security > Enable Java (UNcheck this) (Enable JavaScript should be checked)

For more security ideas: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

Here's how to take a screen shot and post it.

4. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, ill post up a screen shot after work. I called apple phone support, they said get an anti virus software. I downloaded avast lastnight and I'm still getting the download. The down load is from eBay and when I open the download, which I hadn't done, a white screen pops up with a banner ad for iPhone 5. It's an ad I see on eBay. Apreciate the help this far. I'd love to get this figured out. I found a thread on apples forum, where someone had the same issue, several people actually and no one had a resolution. Thanks.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because it's not malware. Installing antivirus software isn't a solution. Do you have any ad-blockers installed? It sounds like it could be a pop-up type ad that downloads instead of popping up, or that an ad blocker is causing to download in an improper attempt to block it.

6. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

I just made these changes you recommended, ill start with that. Ill find out soon enough if it worked. Will unchecking those things expose me to other possible issues?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, not at all. If you visit a trusted website that requires Java, just re-enable it for the duration of your visit.

8. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

Its definitely not a pop up. Its a banner ad ive been seeing on ebay lately. Here is what comes up when i open the download. Where the page is white, is where ebay auctions would be. Click on the pic below for BIG. Thanks.

Screen shot 2012-10-15 at 4.50.06 PM.png

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's definitely just an ad. Annoying, but not harmful in any way.

10. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

So you can tell by that that its just an ad? Nothing to worry about?

Also, while i have your expert attention, i trashed the avast i had downloaded. I dragged the avast icon from my applications folder into the trash and the file in my download folder, into the trash. Is that enough to have that totally out of my computer or is there something deeper that i need to get rid of?

Super appreciate your help on all of this. And ill keep you posted about the unchecking of the boxes and if it worked. Thanks. O

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

12. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i went to the youtube video, that other stuff made my head dizzy....lol.

I typed avast into a finder search and nothing came up. I assume that means im clean, maybe?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you do steps 6 and 7? The steps are simple if you take them one at a time and do them exactly as described.

14. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

This...

Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

I dont even know where to find the search term so i can find the + and add criteria.....lol. Im not kidding.

15. GGJstudios, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you type avast or even a space in the search area, the + is right below that. Look at the first image in the instructions I posted. Where you see the red circled "-" on the right side, that was a "+" before I clicked it. The area where you can enter a search term is right above that.

Take a screen shot of your Finder window and post it.

It should look like this:
    ScreenCap 2012-10-15 at Mon, Oct 15,5.15.16 PM .PNG

16. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

Ok so i think im getting somewhere. I typed avast in and nothing showed up below in the large empty area. Am i any where close to where i should be? LOL

Screen shot 2012-10-15 at 6.13.56 PM.png

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See the image I added to my last post.

18. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

Where you have systems files and are included boxed in red, i cant find that. Im getting there though...lol

Screen shot 2012-10-15 at 6.13.56 PM.png

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where it says "Kind" on yours, click the word "Kind" and select "Other" from the dropdown list, then "Name". Then select "Contains", to match the first line. Then, at the right end of that bar, click the "+" again, click "Kind in the 2nd line, select "Other", then select "System Files" and then "Are included".

The good news is once you've done this once, it's a piece of cake to do it in the future!

20. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

Ok, im almost there....lol....UGH. In the second line after i select "other" how do i select "system files" and then "are included"? Does this look like im almost there?....you must be raging right now...LOL.

Screen shot 2012-10-15 at 6.58.18 PM.png

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not raging at all. Yes, you're almost there. Click on the word "Kind", and a dropdown list appears. On that dropdown list, click "Other..." (which is at the bottom of the list), then another window will pop up, showing an alphabetical listing of other criteria. Scroll down to "System files" and double-click it. Then you'll see "aren't included". Click that and change it to "are included".
    ScreenCap 2012-10-15 at Mon, Oct 15,6.21.36 PM .PNG

ScreenCap 2012-10-15 at Mon, Oct 15,6.21.51 PM .PNG

22. zowenso thread starter macrumors member

Now we are talking...lol. Ok, so, this is what came up. Now what? drag all this crap to the trash? And really, thanks for your patience.

Screen shot 2012-10-15 at 7.28.08 PM.png

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Change from icon view to list view. Click View > List or click the button shown below.
    Screen shot 2012-10-15 at 7.28.08 PM.png
    Never use icon view when doing something like this, because some files/folders may not appear on the screen. Post another screen shot after you've done that.

24. zowenso, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

zowenso thread starter macrumors member

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try again. Your attachment isn't there.