Mac download speeds much faster than bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ambergris, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ambergris macrumors newbie

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit running in bootcamp on a late 2103 iMac. Download speeds are 3 to 4 times faster when using the Mac OS (and much closer to speeds promised by my ISP) than when booted into Windows.

Is there a way to improve download speeds in bootcamp?
    Many thanks
    Dianne

2. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Are your drivers updated?

3. Ambergris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. I installed the Windows drivers using the most recent version of the Bootcamp Support Software when I set up the machine several months ago. Could you perhaps explain how I can check whether the drivers are now the most recent versions?
    Sincere thanks
    Dianne

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Did you download the support software from the Apple site, or did you let the boot camp installer download it for you?

5. Ambergris thread starter macrumors newbie

During the set-up process I allowed the bootcamp assistant to download the file to a USB stick, then used the stick to install the drivers on the bootcamp partition.
    Thank you again
    Dianne

6. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Try this.

Open control panel -> Device manager -> networking devices

There should be a list of wired/wireless drivers.

List those for us and we can tell you what it is unless someone already knows what card is in that iMac.

Also, is it a wired or wireless connection?

7. Ambergris thread starter macrumors newbie

The iMac is connected by ethernet to my router (late model DLink) which provides a local network for my other devices when needed.
    I have attached a file with the network adaptor and driver details.
    I have a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor and Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet listed.

Attached Files:

8. VI™ macrumors 6502a

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_desktop.php

Choose the Windows 7 x64 driver. Download, unzip, and install. If that doesn't work, there could be something with your network settings.

But it shows your driver version is 5.106.199.1 and Broadcom's page shows 16.2.0.4b. If hardware isn't working right first thing to check is the drivers.

9. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

10. Ambergris thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for your recommendation re updating the driver. I have tended to be wary about downloading drivers for Windows in bootcamp- obviously unnecessarily so!
    Thank you for your question, RedReplicant- the measurement of download speed is, I assume, not particularly accurate- I have a Firefox add-on which shows the download speed in both Windows and Mac- and the difference in the speed shown (and the time it takes to download the same file, which I can measure myself) is definitely noticeably different.
    It's not a major problem- but certainly roused my curiosity.

11. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

You can check the physical wireless link speed.

Windows flag key+r type ncpa.cpl enter

Right click the broadcom wifi and select status what is the link speed?

In bootcamp with the 2010 kit the default windows driver will not bond channels maxing out at 130mbps instead. It doesn't bond with some non apple routers or routers who's chipset it didn't like in windows despite running at full bonded speed with OSX. I recall this happening with a client with a dlink router a few years ago. Changed it to an AirPort Extreme and got the full speed in windows. I have airports in my house and it's 300mbps here..

12. Ambergris thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting suggestion- the speed shown is 450Mbps.
    Download speeds in Windows can reach 500 at times (mostly much less), and approximately 1500 in the Mac OS.
    I am going to do some more specific download speed testing and will certainly consider the Airport Extreme. Thank you!

13. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

450mbps - check the dlink website for your region for any firmware updates to the router too, they can be region specific.

I dont use wifi much in the house though thanks to having a cellar and a box of Cat 6 cable :D

14. Ambergris thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked and the firmware is up to date. Thank you for the suggestion.