mac drive not reading dvd movies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simswithguns, Apr 15, 2012.

1. simswithguns macrumors newbie

Ok here is my scenario.

Trying to make a DVD rip of my copy (yes, I do own this) of The Dark Knight and I'm trying to use MacX dvd ripper from Digiarty (i've also tried handbrake and another Digiarty software with the same result). What happens is that I put the disc in and it shows me stuff off the disc (the possible movie file selections) and then when I try to rip it just hangs and it produces nothing. Afterwards I also cannot remove the disc from the drive (It'll let me eject but nothing happens) unless I reset the MBP. I have also tried this with a fewer other of my discs with the same result.

I was also wondering if a DVD movie like that should automatically be playable in quicktime? because it just shows me the video_ts files and doesn't seem to want to open it. I also tried VLC and doesn't seem to want to play nice...

I've accepted the possibility that the programs could be junk, I just have a hard time believing all three of them are no good...

Thanks,
    Sims

----------

sorry I forgot to mention I have a Fall 2011 15 MBP

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

3. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think that is the case because it works just fine otherwise, and I tried 2 other DVD's.

4. Dweez, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Perhaps the mac dvd drive is dirty? I use (some of) the above mentioned programs on a regular basis and very much dig the results.

5. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

suggestions for cleaning the drive?

----------

I also just tried a CD and it played just fine

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

7. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

it seems like it reads other DVDs, I tried my copy of the sims 3 and it loads. I didn't tried installing anything because its already on here. I can try to find another DVD to attempt.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It does seem like something with the DVD itself, there shouldn't be any reason that one dvd just won't rip. Also, in some ridiculous scenarios:

you're sure it's not the digital copy DVD or a bluray? I know the fact that you can see the movie files in handbrake, etc make it really unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

VLC and Handbrake are both up to date? Again, the movie has been out for a while, so it's doubtful that there's some new encoding on it, but you never know.

Can you play the movie on either your MBP or a regular DVD player?

Also...download it. You own the movie legitimately and clearly aren't trying to pirate it. Not a great option, but there you go.

9. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried the DVD on my Toshiba laptop and it works just fine. I tried deleting all my ripping software just in case but that didn't do anything. When i throw it in VLC it just hangs and makes VLC hang and I have to force quit. I just updated it so it should be good. Its also just any DVD movie, it won't let me watch them, period. I tried 3 different movies and they all do the same thing

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sounds like your drive is going, you may want to take it in. If you still want to test you can try burning something or audio CDs, but the inability to access multiple DVDs is a little worrying. Also, from your OP, OS X handles DVD playback through iDVD in "applications," I'm not sure that QT can do playback of them.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

sounds like one of those one off times downloading the torrent should not be frowned apon

12. simswithguns thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not really worried about having a avi for my movie it was just a little more convenient then using the disc everytime I want to watch them. Whats more troubling is that it won't read them, I'll try the iDVD program when I get home. I'm still well within my warranty so I'm good on that front