Mac drivers for XP problem - no disc!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hennnerz, Jan 5, 2011.

1. hennnerz macrumors newbie

I've successfully installed XP on my Macbook (Late 2009) and now need to install the drivers to get Network connectivity etc. However I don't have my mac disc at hand as I am away travelling at the moment. Can I download the drivers either from my mac or from the internet to USB, then transfer and install them into XP?

I have the latest version of OSX and am up-to-date with everything afaik. Running XP Pro SP 3

Thanks!

2. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

I tried this when I was away from my disk. I don't think it is possible :(

3. hennnerz thread starter macrumors newbie

The guides that I've read online say that you can burn a CD with the drivers on, then insert this CD when on the XP OS. If I understand the guides correctly, could I write the files to USB instead?

Aren't all the drivers I need already on my mac, so I just need to get them over to the XP side of things?

Thanks for the reply :)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This was the case in Boot Camp 1.x that was shipped for OS X 10.4 Tiger, in all later versions the drivers are only available on your OS X install disc.

B

5. hennnerz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Thailand, my disc is in England. Would the best thing to do be get sent the disc? Or can I buy one cheaply from eBay or somewhere? Or even some dodgy thai computer shop?

Also could you confirm exactly which disc it is please?

Thanks again guys.

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'm sure it's just a generic network card.

Try and find a driver for it from the manufacturer site, you don't need to use Apple's driver.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Most everything works out of the box in W7, so I suspect you are right. The main issues are the trackpad driver and the drivers for the other Apple devices like the iSight.

It's usually on the first of the two grey OS X install discs that come with your machine. The other one contains optional installs like Xcode.

You can generally use a retail upgrade disc (these are the ones that retail for $29 in the US). Since your machine already shipped with Snow Leopard, you need to make sure that the disc you start with is newer than your machine. i.e. only use a recent 10.6.3 retail upgrade disc.

It's in a second partition on the disc so getting a copy from a dodgy downloading it from the torrents may not get you what you need. Here's a link to a guide to extract them from the disc if you have someone back home who can do this for you and make the data available. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892725

B

8. hennnerz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks nick,

I looked here: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp579

After googling this + drivers and I've not found much other than trying "Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)" which I will in a minute...

I'm going to be using a mouse and won't be using the iSight, so this sounds promising.

So if my machine is fully up-to-date, then the newest retail upgrade disc available would do the job? This sounds like a better idea than getting the discs shipped from home at the moment.

However, getting just the data shipped sounds like an even better idea. If I can find out how my Dad can extract the contents of the disc while using a Windows machine I will do it. Thank you for that.

9. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

That driver extraction sounds the most efficient. Then all you need is some webspace and you're golden. Good luck!

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I posted in the other thread. Have him find the BootCamp.msi file and just send you that.

And yes, the 10.6.3 OS X retail upgrade disc should do you just fine. If there is an Apple dealer/shop nearby, they may just let you borrow one to install the drivers.

B

11. hennnerz thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, I will get onto that ASAP.

Thank you for all the help everyone, especially balamw!

12. hennnerz thread starter macrumors newbie

He sent me this file and I copied it onto the Desktop, then installed. Before installing it prompted my whether I would like to install Apple Services, I tick the box, then get the following error message:

I can still continue and install Bootcamp - which I did, however this just gives me the options to change the Brightness, choose the OS and do something with the function + F1 buttons.

Any idea why i get the error message? I've tried directing the devices towards the new file in Device Manager for the drivers, but no luck there.

13. hennnerz thread starter macrumors newbie

To clarify; in Bootcamp 3.0 on the XP side of things I don't have any option to install drivers, only Choose OS, Brightness and Keyboard.

I tried Bootcamp 64, but obviously that didn't work. Hopefully I will be sent the entire contents of the CD soon, but can't count on it...

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's what the system tray icon does.

If you have a Boot Camp icon in the system tray it means the drivers should already have been installed. Are you still missing any particular devices in Device Manager?

B

15. hennnerz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, basically none of the drivers installed.

What I did is go to the Apple Bootcamp Support page (http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/) and then download the Bootcamp 3.1 Update - which installed the wireless network drivers + some. Then I was able to download and install Bootcamp Update 3.2.

From here I was able to connect to the internet via Wireless and update windows via Windows Update, while doing this in Hardware Updates was an update for both the Graphics and the Ethernet card. I downloaded and installed both of these and great success. Windows Updates does then tell you to download a Network Control Manager (Desktop maybe) but don't because it will remove the Ethernet drivers, or at least stop it from working.

Thanks for all the help anyway, I think I am working well now! Fingers crossed!

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Glad to hear it!

B