Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer77od

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
long time reader 1st time poster. First off, i dont know if im posting in the right spot im brand new to this. I even searched quite a bit of forums and nothing seem to match my problem. I just figured i would try here before calling apple.

i connect my 2nd monitor and the macbook see's the monitor and all but its still stays in sleep mode the entire time. ive tried on 2 different macbooks, 4 different monitors, 2 different VGA cables, ive tried alternating between 60HZ and 75HZ, ive restarted, even put the laptop to sleep a few time. NOTHING is working.

ive also even cycled through the very long list of frequencies for all 4 monitors and the only response im getting as it 800x600 @ 60hz and thats only when my main screen enters screensaver. but even then the 2nd monitor flickers a mirrored image and im not on image mode. When i put the laptop into sleep mode when it returns i see the 2nd monitor "ghost image" for a second before it goes to the 2nd monitor. so i know its trying to work

ive been working on this for about 3 hours now its starting to get frustrating.

i know all of the monitors work i play xbox on all of them. the VGA cables work as well and the DVI-VGA adapter is brand new.

the macbooks are 2 and 3 years old.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you trying to connect two external monitors?
If so you may be out of luck I believe with thecurrent models you can get display port and USB to support two monitors but the dvi port/VGA on your MacBook pro simply doesnt have enough bandwidth.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I've read your entire post twice and I'm not sure I understand your question. What is it you are trying to do, precisely? Keep it short and clear, please.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

snaky69 said:
I've read your entire post twice and I'm not sure I understand your question. What is it you are trying to do, precisely? Keep it short and clear, please.

This.
I think I'm giving you the right advice but your post is a little bit confusing.

jer77od

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011

all im trying to do is simply connect a SINGLE (not double for 3 monitors) monitor for dual monitors so i can read my Objective C book on one and code on the other. that is all lol

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
all im trying to do is simply connect a SINGLE (not double for 3 monitors) monitor for dual monitors so i can read my Objective C book on one and code on the other. that is all lol

For starters go get a DVI cable it is never a good idea to convert digital to analagoue. It also rules out it being a cable/conversion issue.

jer77od

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
For starters go get a DVI cable it is never a good idea to convert digital to analagoue. It also rules out it being a cable/conversion issue.

i have a DVI to AVG. nothing else in the house even supports any other type of DVI. I have like 5 AVG monitors though. i dont c why it isn't working.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
i have a DVI to AVG. nothing else in the house even supports any other type of DVI. I have like 5 AVG monitors though. i dont c why it isn't working.

AVG? You mean VGA.

The problem, potential problem is depending on what monitor your using (other equipment). Is that analogue cannot be converted to digital. So if there is a analogue to digital conversion somewhere it can stuff up your whole setup.

Also have you got a DVI-D, DVI-A or DVI-I converter. Having the wrong type is probably stuffing you up, I believe the MBP even 3 years ago was DVI-D.

jer77od

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
AVG? You mean VGA.

The problem, potential problem is depending on what monitor your using (other equipment). Is that analogue cannot be converted to digital. So if there is a analogue to digital conversion somewhere it can stuff up your whole setup.

Also have you got a DVI-D, DVI-A or DVI-I converter. Having the wrong type is probably stuffing you up, I believe the MBP even 3 years ago was DVI-D.

ya VGA lol i keep getting those 2 mixed up. and i used 4 different monitors from the MB. and i have a mini DVI-out to VGA there is no actual DVI. its just a short 4inch cable the only video out there is on this computer.

and this that statement is true then why even make a DVI to VGA cable? ive read a lot on it its working for everybody but me.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
ya VGA lol i keep getting those 2 mixed up. and i used 4 different monitors from the MB. and i have a mini DVI-out to VGA there is no actual DVI. its just a short 4inch cable the only video out there is on this computer.

and this that statement is true then why even make a DVI to VGA cable? ive read a lot on it its working for everybody but me.

I presume you are using a apple mini-DVI to VGA? If so it shouldn't be a problem if not depending on how it is made it may not work for your MBP.

jer77od

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I presume you are using a apple mini-DVI to VGA? If so it shouldn't be a problem if not depending on how it is made it may not work for your MBP.

it is a mini-DVI to VGA.... but now we are back to square one. the problem remains. ive never even heard of this happening. im hoping i didn't buy a bad connector.

and its just a MB not a MBP. sry

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
it is a mini-DVI to VGA.... but now we are back to square one. the problem remains. ive never even heard of this happening. im hoping i didn't buy a bad connector.

and its just a MB not a MBP. sry

Presumed MBP because this is the MBP forum ... The adapter came from Apple? personally what i think you should do is return it, it doesn't work and go get an adaptor from Apple you know will work.

jer77od

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Presumed MBP because this is the MBP forum ... The adapter came from Apple? personally what i think you should do is return it, it doesn't work and go get an adaptor from Apple you know will work.

is this the ONLY solution? cuz as stated i can see it sorta trying to work. and it came from fryz electronics and it wasn't cheap. im only assuming its from apple. could still be wrong though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.