Mac Dunce asking for help !

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Phil K, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Phil K macrumors newbie

My son gave me a quite nice Macbook. Says it has Leopard OS, notice when updating, says it's OS X, can I upgrade to Lion, and should I ?
    How do I find out what RAM it has, what the cpu is, (I did notice it has nearly 300gb of Hard disc space)
    Also, I have a Dell laser printer. Now, my other printer, a Canon, installed no problems because it had a Mac disc. No such luck with the Dell laser. I downloaded the required installer, installed it, expecting it to open up.....but it didn't. And I haven't a clue where it is. How do I get to it to install a network printer when the installer is needed from the net ?
    Just got this half an hour ago, and realizing just how different they are !!!!

2. simsaladimbamba

As it is a MacBook, it may be able to run Lion. To check, see below instructions. It does need to have a "Core 2 Duo" CPU at least.

What exact printer are you talking about and what exact drivers did you download from where?

A network printer is used for an internal network (house, company, ...), but ... I am confused with this sentence of yours.

3. Phil K, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

Phil K thread starter macrumors newbie

You're a gent and a scholar, mate !
    Will follow instructions to letter !:D
    Its a 2.4 Core 2 duo, 2gb ram. (Just curious. What is the maximum ram this can run ? And how to replace ? Its 667mhz ddr2 sdram)

Re the sentence that has confused. I've only ever used a Windows PC. Just received this macbook from my son half an hour ago. Ergo, the difference between Mac and Pc is greater than anticipated.

4. Phil K thread starter macrumors newbie

Printer was a Dell 1320c, downloaded from the Dell site, and as i say, tried to install, seemed to, but was expecting to seek out where on my network. It didn't happen, as it had with the Canon I had installed couple of minutes prior. Of course, that was with a Mac disc.

5. simsaladimbamba

I was confused because of your use of "network" (internal network) and "net" (short for internet I suppose).

Then who its the Dell printer connected to your network and how are you connected to the printer?
    Have you tried System Preferences > Print & Fax?

6. Phil K thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I went to see if I could print on the Canon, but the mac can't "see" ANY printer.
    Is there no "Printers and other devices" like Windows ?
    Following your advice, the Canon is now logged and operatable.
    The Dell laser, however is nowhere to be seen.

7. simsaladimbamba

System Preferences > Print & Fax.

8. Phil K thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly still didn't work for the Dell laser printer (which I use more)