Mac DVDRipper Pro and Handbrake question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GanChan, Mar 4, 2015.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I just made M4v files of two different 28-minute video segments, one with MacDVDRipper Pro and the other with Handbrake. MacDVDRipper Pro was set to the default ("Very High Quality") Rip and Convert settings, while on Handbrake I had the RF set to 17.8.

Both of them generated files of approximately the same size -- about 350 MB. MacDVDRipper Pro made it easy to select soft subtitles; with Handbrake I just burned them onto the file, but I suppose there's a way to do soft subs there as well.

The only real difference in video quality was that the Handbrake file displayed noticeable de-interlacing lines, while the MacDVDRipper Pro file looked smoother. Is this a common result?

I originally thought I'd need to rip discs in one application and then compress them in another, but I guess not. Any other clear advantages/disadvantages between the two applications?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You might want to see about getting this thread moved to the video section or Apple TV section as there are a lot of folks in both sections who know a lot about these programs. Don't know if they visit this area a lot.

I would also suggest you screen shot all the settings or at least list all the settings you used in each program as someone who his familiar with each program can suggest alternative settings for each area. Just a thought. :)

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK. I'll just re-post in Digital Video and let the Powers That Be close this thread.