.Mac e-Mail & iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CTK2651, Jul 17, 2007.

1. CTK2651 macrumors member

I do not own an iPhone yet and just curious about e-Mails. Can someone tell me how the iPhone handles .Mac emails. Does it downloaded them to the iPhone or just accessing the server? Right now I have over 600 previous read e-mails sitting on the .Mac server (not real diligent 'bout deleting e-mails till I have to).

Also, when I delete an e-mail from iPhone will it delete it from the .Mac server (and subsequently from my iMac's mail program)? Thanks!

2. speedballs macrumors member

Yep sure does.
    I created an archive folder on my .Mac account and stored all the emails I didn't want showing up on my phone there, so only new ones show up. Of course I can still get to my archive folder on my Phone as well.
    It downloads the emails to both your phone and your computer to answer your question simply.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's just like in mail for the most part. I have a .mac account and The iPhone stores the emails on the .mac server, but still sends a copy to your phone. You could check the email even with out any service if you had checked your email when in a service area.

4. CTK2651 thread starter macrumors member

If your not creating subfolders or deleting e-mails, are all those e-mails taking up iPhone memory?

5. Baumer macrumors newbie

Are you using POP or IMAP for your .mac mail?

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have a Mac Email, GMail, AOL Mail, School EMail, and Work email and have NO PROBLEMS with any of them.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Managing mail space with Mailboxes/Archives on your Mac

For archiving and/or storing of larger files that you do not want access to via the web (taking up space on the server to your .Mac email/idisk/homepage allotment) and your iPhone, you can store mail locally on your Mac.

First, know that when you go into your inbox on your iPhone it shows the first 25 messages and that you must go to the next set, which requires accessing the server. So no, mail isn't actually stored on the phone I don't think so much as accessing the server. I don't know if you have access to that group of 25 mails when both Wi-Fi and EDGE are out of range as I have not used the iPhone out of EDGE range.

To archive old mail, go to Mail on the Mac and with the drawer open to the side showing Inbox, Drafts, Sents, Trash, Junk, and subfolders and then right click on Inbox and select New Mailbox (or from the Mailbox menu). When the pop-down window appears, change the selection from the .Mac account to On My Mac and give the mailbox a name, i.e. Archive, Backup, or whatever. Your list of subfolders in the drawer will now disappear momentarily as your .Mac account appears as globe icon with a carrot next to it. Open the carrot to reveal the subfolders. Your Archive or Backup folder will appear above the globe icon. If you right click on that icon and select New Mailbox, you can now make subfolders to the archive folder.

If you want to backup all your mail to the archive, create an identical subfolder structure and then select all mail items one subfolder at a time and copy them to the corresponding Archive subfolder.

If you want to remove most, or certain subfolders worth of mail from the server but have access to them on the Mac, create those subfolders, highlight all or some of the mail and drag them to the corresponding folder. You can store all your old mail this way and keep only recent mail in each subfolder for web and iPhone access.

Lastly, if you just want to reduce the mail web server storage size, all you need to do is move the mail items with the largest attachments to your Archive subfolders.

8. CTK2651 thread starter macrumors member

roland.g ...thanks

That's explains it! :)

Based on what you're saying I believe I need to check my iMac's mail settings / folders tonight...cause I know I'm storing mail on the server (even created folders to archive different types of mail) and I think I'm also storing them locally (on the iMac). :confused:

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The reason that I archive is 1. to save space, but 2. also to back up the .Mac server. Once, all my subfolders disappeared in Mail on my Mac b/c even though you are looking at it on your Mac, you are really just looking at the server, and Mail is always syncing with the server. You can go offline and still have access to mail on your Mac, but the next time you take it online, you re-sync to the server. So me, I just duplicated my folder structure on my Mac and copy everything over, creating a mirror of the server. Anytime I move a piece of mail to a subfolder, I first right click and copy that mail to the corresponding folder in the Archive tree, and then move the server copy to its subfolder. It's an extra step, but no big deal. I usually do it every week or two, and select all the items together for each subfolder to make it a bit easier. Like I said I also delete from the server any mail with large attachments and just keep those in the archive.