.mac email account being used as spam mailer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by network23, Sep 19, 2007.

1. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

Anyone else having this problem?

All of a sudden, I am getting dozens, if not hundreds of bounced email messages from servers and domains telling me they could not deliver emails I never sent.

I've contacted Apple support, but thought someone here might have a suggested course of action to take in the interim.

Thanks!

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Change your password.

There is a good chance that the emails didn't come from you. Spammers often spoof the from line of their emails with another email from their list.

For a while there was a trend to have the spam be fake bounce back messages.

3. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

Yeah, I remember that and would believe that to be the case if I was getting any other spam, but it's ALL these bounce emails.

4. sdfiain macrumors newbie

I'm getting the same thing, but the messages have the message I sent attached as a zip file. Or that's what they say it is... it isn't. I got curious and Symatec quarantined it as soon as I double clicked. I think it's an attack specifically directed at .mac users... anybody have any other ideas?

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Getting the same spam cr@p.... luckilly NOT on my .Mac account.... ;-)

I wouldn't take too much notice. It is just another smart way of spammers to circumvent your own spam filter....

6. Kickstart macrumors newbie

If your email address has been in circulation on message boards etc then it can get onto spammers lists. You can use the .mac alias facility to ensure that when you sign up for stuff that needs your email address you give one like this:

signup.johndoe@mac.com

That way if the signup starts attracting spam, or being used by spammers you can just delete it.