Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Readdle's popular Spark email app expanded to the Mac late last year, and now the company has introduced a major update that brings a new Smart Search feature.

According to Readdle, there are several under-the-hood changes that have been made to enable the new search feature and to make it speedy. Smart Search is able to provide instant access to files and attachments as well as relevant search suggestions, all displayed in an intuitive UI.

sparkformacsmartsearch-800x500.jpg

Search queries are visualized with smart keywords to get to relevant results more quickly, and keywords can be customized to fit specific criteria like emails from the last week or emails with attachments. It also supports natural language, so searches like "show me emails from Eric from the last two weeks" will bring up the relevant content.

Along with the new search feature, today's update also includes syncing for snoozed emails, reduced CPU consumption, and improved memory and disk usage.

Spark for Mac is available for free from the Mac App Store starting today. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mac Email App 'Spark' Gains New Smart Search Feature

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
I have OCD when it comes to my email. It drives me crazy that Spark for MacOS uses a non-default font/size for composing Gmail emails. Spark for iOS uses the standard Gmail font type/size. But for some reason Spark for MacOS uses a non-standard and it drives me crazy. I don't want to have to change and font manually every time I send out an email. I don't understand this design choice.

Comment

RONS67

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2016
The app is free, but its use comes at the tremendous cost of your privacy. Read the Terms of Service! Readdle can (i.e., will) share (i.e., sell) your email to whomever (probably Google). NO THANKS

Comment

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
Anybody know if there's an email app out there that will filter your emails into folders? I use yahoo mail (yeah, I know, but I've had this account for years and can't change that easily), and it only filters correctly about half the time. Thanks for any advice!

Comment

is1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Anybody know if there's an email app out there that will filter your emails into folders? I use yahoo mail (yeah, I know, but I've had this account for years and can't change that easily), and it only filters correctly about half the time. Thanks for any advice!
Have you tried having that mail forwarded to gmail (or have gmail retrieve that email), and then use their filters?

Comment

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I simply love the design of Spark, and used it on my new MacBook. But after several issues where it didn't send my (important) emails, without any form of notice, I simply cannot justify using it. So I went back to Airmail, which is a lot bloated, but at least it get my emails sent.

Comment

NordmoleX

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2017
The app is free, but its use comes at the tremendous cost of your privacy. Read the Terms of Service! Readdle can (i.e., will) share (i.e., sell) your email to whomever (probably Google). NO THANKS

You realise that to a pretty high amount of certainty pretty much all do that. Google scans your mail, Microsoft does as well, they all do. Not sure whats the different. There is no Email provider you can be "really" sure about to not do that. Sure, some might claim that, but come on, they all do in one way or another. At least Spark says it out loud, while others presend to be secure and are not in the end.

Thats how it is today unfortunately.

Comment

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
like spark...just could never get used to their awful UI. don't care much for readdle's apps from a design perspective. so have recently moved to Email on iOS. been using polymail on the mac, but not happy with mac email apps ATM...

Comment

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I don't trust these email clients simply because almost every single one of them I've tried so far got discontinued or abandoned after a couple of years at most.

Reactions: ejpeg and B60boy
Comment

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
You realise that to a pretty high amount of certainty pretty much all do that. Google scans your mail, Microsoft does as well, they all do. Not sure whats the different. There is no Email provider you can be "really" sure about to not do that. Sure, some might claim that, but come on, they all do in one way or another. At least Spark says it out loud, while others presend to be secure and are not in the end.

or you can run your own mailserver and not have corporations all up in your biz. And be really sure about it.

Comment

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
I have OCD when it comes to my email. It drives me crazy that Spark for MacOS uses a non-default font/size for composing Gmail emails. Spark for iOS uses the standard Gmail font type/size. But for some reason Spark for MacOS uses a non-standard and it drives me crazy. I don't want to have to change and font manually every time I send out an email. I don't understand this design choice.

I have written to the developers many timers to allow us to change font size . The only reason I am not using spark now

Comment

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
...but both the iOS and Mac apps are "free" so what do you really have to lose by trying it out?

Yes, because many of the more advanced features that I use are handled by the email client making its own folders and filtering systems, and each client does its own thing. After 2 or 3 clients, you get a mess of a mailbox.

Comment

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014

True.

What really bothered me about Spark specifically was that they're running everything through Google's servers. I spend quite a bit of effort staying off their creepy radar and installing Spark gave them access to my entire life. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for them to do that. None at all. If I install an email client it should be just that, a client. Its a front end for my connection to Apple's servers and no one else. What they've done is essentially a man-in-the-middle scam.

Something about the install process really didn't seem right to me, so I read the agreement after I was done with the install and thats when I found out about their subterfuge. It wasn't ten minutes after I installed Spark that I deleted it and changed my iCloud password because of that, but that was probably 9:35 more than they needed to scan all the mail that I had left on my iCloud account. I don't leave much due to the Telecom Act (1986?) section that states any file left on a remote server for more than 180 days is considered "abandoned", and therefore fair game for the feds, but what was on there was still more than I wanted them to see. (Coincidentally, this rule is the reason I also refuse to use Apple's new desktop remote storage feature for MacOS. Since its designed to pull only the oldest files, it seems like its tailor made to take in data that the feds can look at with impunity. So no, I don't trust Apple either. I just trust them more than Google.)

Personally, I stay away from Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Instagram, Waze, FourSquare (is that even still a thing anymore?) and even Tapatalk.

Comment

Dragoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
North Wales

I have a yahoo account for use with yahoo groups, a Gmail account for my business, a hotmail account for use with friends and an Outlook account for use with anyone not on first name terms. Microsoft is at the moment driving me mad.
For instance, they want me to have the same password for email and to log on all of my devices and they don't want me to hold two email accounts.
For an email client I like the now obsolete "Outlook Express" for simplicity and functionality. Even better is "Outlook" supplied with MS Office Pro.
Old fashioned, yes, but I like the idea that when I downloaded from my mail box the mail was deleted and saved to my hard drive. Secure and if hacked they can only intercept mail that hasn't been downloaded.

Comment

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
I have a yahoo account for use with yahoo groups, a Gmail account for my business, a hotmail account for use with friends and an Outlook account for use with anyone not on first name terms. Microsoft is at the moment driving me mad.

Wow man, that's a lot of email accounts. Well, come to think of it, I've got three accounts myself. I did some googling today and found that the mail app in OS X has the ability to filter emails for you. Can't believe I've had that option all this time and didn't know it. Hopefully someday we will have something similar on iOS. Best wishes for your email tribulations, Dragoon!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.