.mac email question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidg4781, Aug 22, 2007.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I remember reading this sometime back, but can't seem to find it anymore...

What I read was that if you subscribe to .mac then let it cancel, you still have access to your .mac email. Is this correct?

I'm looking for a good IMAP solution, and .mac seems great, but I'm worried about trying it for a year, not liking it, then having to look elsewhere. I'm currently using FuseMail, and it's about $25/year, but it went up quite a bit, and I'm grandfathered, so I don't want to mess that up.

Another thing, will it check my other email accounts? FuseMail checks my Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail (Gmail's forwarded, I think), so I no longer have to go around checking everything.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No. Once you are no longer a dotmac subscriber you do NOT have email access. You lose your .mac emails. What you do get to keep, is the name for iChat/IM purposes. But that's it.

dotmac the mail server will not. But OS X's Mail.app (the application) can be set up to access any POP3, IMAP, or Exchange email account.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

It will even check a standard Yahoo and Hotmail account? I guess I don't really NEED them, but it's a nice little feature.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

The .mac web client can be set to check external POP mailboxes, but you must initiate it yourself from the web i/f; I have mine setup like that, but I have to click a link to initiate the check. Apple's mail.app can do it automatically, and again I have mine setup like that (and to move any incoming messages to the .mac inbox).

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

So I would be able to drop FuseMail, go with .mac, and still only check one email account, instead of messing around with going to Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.?

I really don't even need those others, but I like to have them there, just in case something comes in. I've had stuff come through from older websites or friends.

Maybe it's just my OCD...:rolleyes:

6. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

If you know someone with a full .mac family account, and they're willing, your email can be hosted by their account for $10 a year. If you then take up .mac again you can change it back.

I did this at one point. I kept my email account open and a friend hosted it for me. I couldn't use the aliases while I was hosted there, but when I restarted .mac they were still all there.

link