.Mac email speed on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badlydrawnboy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I bought an iPod Touch and am extremely disappointed with how slow the .Mac webmail service is even on fast wi-fi connections. Other websites seem to be a bit faster, but still much slower than my laptop on the same network.

I'm considering an iPhone, and I'm wondering how responsive the Mail program is with .Mac. I'm really tired of sitting around waiting for .Mac webmail to load. It takes FOREVER!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

From what I've heard, .Mac's mail service has been iffy for years. With Google offering 6GB of space and IMAP access, I really don't see any reason to NOT get Gmail.

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Only one reason: I absolutely hate the process of changing my email address. But I should consider it.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i've been a .mac member since 2003 and have not really experienced any problems with it at all. i rarely use the webmail app, relying primarily on the mail apps on my macbook and iphone. i haven't found .mac to be slow (i also have an imap gmail account and 2 pop accounts for my website) at all. at times, i've noticed that new mail will sometimes show up on my phone slightly before it shows up in mail on my macbook.

i don't think you need to worry about it. my .mac address is my primary mail account and it's been completely reliable for me.

5. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow! I can't believe you haven't noticed the frequent service outages, problems sending mail, etc. etc. I've been a member for at least five years, and there have definitely been problems. That said, I'm more or less satisfied with how it performs in Mail and even in webmail on my Mac; however, for some reason it is UNBEARABLY SLOW on my iPod Touch.

I've been playing around with GMail on my Touch and it's noticeably faster. Hmmmm...

Of course the other question is: what makes .Mac worth $100? I need to think about that one. What would you say?

6. grahamtearne macrumors regular

Never had a problem with speed or reliabilty using .mac email on my iPhone. Only time I had a problem was just before the Macworld keynote but thats because .mac went down for it I think along with the stores.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you use the bookmark/address book/iCal syncing or upload pictures, I'd think that'd be worth it. Otherwise... Let's just say I don't have it.

8. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i can probably only think of one time where i had problems sending email, but that's it. i don't live and die by my email, so the outages don't stand out to me, though i know they occur from posts here and on other sites i visit. i've never lost any emails or suffered any other negative consequences because of them.

i think you'll see a difference if you download and use the mail app on your touch instead of going through the web app. it is odd if you think about it - google has a great iphone web interface to check gmail and do other things, but apple hasn't done anything similar for .mac for their own iphone. :confused:

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

why dont you get the mail program. i hate any webmail service and it pisses me off when my roommate complains about using our schools webmail, even though i set up his outlook for him (yes i, a mac owner used a pc for more than minutes. ahhh i almost was fearful for my life)