Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddglenn59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2010
I'm new to Apple. O.K. so I have my email set up and am receiving email. I am so use to Outlook and I miss it. The email program that came with my MBP is no where near Outlook. Or ...is it that I just don't know how to use the email program? Can I set up folders and file emails? Can I display those folders and easily access them. Where is a calendar? Does Apple have a program similar to Outlook? I read where Outlook is available for the Mac. i'm tempted to buy it but want advise on the subject. I also want to buy the MS Office for the Mac. I hate to do that but I'm so use to those programs. If someone told me no don't buy MS basic programs because MAC has great programs and you simply need to learn to use them, I will hold off. I really want honest advise and perhaps the office and email products by MS really are the way to go. Can you help me out?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Mac Mail is okay but it is VERY limited so coming from Outlook to Mail is like coming from Mac Pro to MacBook Air. Try Thunderbird, it's pretty good, more Outlook alike. There is new version of Office for Mac coming which will include Outlook (not Entourage) and what I've heard, it's very good

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Outlook for Mac??? Holy shiite muslims, count me in. When is the release date?

And Apple Mail is very nice, it's just that the mail and calendar and contacts are all separate apps, that's what is probably making you think it's not as good.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I'm new to Apple. O.K. so I have my email set up and am receiving email. I am so use to Outlook and I miss it. The email program that came with my MBP is no where near Outlook. Or ...is it that I just don't know how to use the email program? Can I set up folders and file emails? Can I display those folders and easily access them.
Of course. They are just called "mailboxes' not folders. Go to 'Mailbox' in the menu bar and take it from there. There area bunch of short tutorials here on the apple website but also you could maybe do with a book. The one I bought when I moved from PC I found useful as it was written from the point of view of someone moving from WIndows, so it has chapters along the lines of "I used to do X in Windows how do I do that in Mac?" Its called 'switching to the Mac' by someone called Pogue.

Where is a calendar?
Calendar = iCal.

Does Apple have a program similar to Outlook?
With everything stuffed into one app? No.

I also want to buy the MS Office for the Mac. I hate to do that but I'm so use to those programs.
From what I've read there is a learning curve as its not the same as on Win. I suggest you try OpenOffice (free) and only if that doesn't do it for you buy Office for Mac.

If someone told me no don't buy MS basic programs because MAC has great programs and you simply need to learn to use them, I will hold off. I really want honest advise and perhaps the office and email products by MS really are the way to go. Can you help me out?
OpenOffice is pretty good, as is the mac equivalent to Office , iWork (not free but much cheaper than Office). Did your mac by any chance come with it? If so give them a try also.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
There's nothing comparable to Outlook for the mac, but luckily Office 2011 (strangely supposed to be released in 2010) will have Outlook and will be able to import your windows .pst Outlook file. If you can bootcamp now, and use Outlook for windows it'll be about 6 months till the mac version will port over. I have read that it won't have the full features of the windows version, but I can't find that article at the moment.

I'm new to Apple. O.K. so I have my email set up and am receiving email. I am so use to Outlook and I miss it. The email program that came with my MBP is no where near Outlook. Or ...is it that I just don't know how to use the email program? Can I set up folders and file emails? Can I display those folders and easily access them. Where is a calendar? Does Apple have a program similar to Outlook? I read where Outlook is available for the Mac. i'm tempted to buy it but want advise on the subject. I also want to buy the MS Office for the Mac. I hate to do that but I'm so use to those programs. If someone told me no don't buy MS basic programs because MAC has great programs and you simply need to learn to use them, I will hold off. I really want honest advise and perhaps the office and email products by MS really are the way to go. Can you help me out?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
is there a way to have emails after a certain date deleted in mail? the filters don't do it.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
^ just had a quick look at Mail's rules. what about this?

7eaF3.png

PS in this example it should obviously be "greater than" :p

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
^ just had a quick look at Mail's rules. what about this?

7eaF3.png

PS in this example it should obviously be "greater than" :p
I had some problems with it. It seemed to work but it did not work on it's own. but I have it redone and I will see if it will do it on it's own and not have to be run.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Outlook for Mac??? Holy shiite muslims, count me in. When is the release date?

And Apple Mail is very nice, it's just that the mail and calendar and contacts are all separate apps, that's what is probably making you think it's not as good.

There is no exact date set yet but it'll be released later on this year

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/2...-a-hands-on-of-microsoft-office-for-mac-2011/
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/29/first-screenshots-of-microsoft-office-for-mac-2011-surface/

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
Apple mail is a great application for managing mailboxes. Like everyone else has stated there is no one program that has them all however it honestly works better this way. Entourage has a tendency to be complicated and cluttered. I use mail + iCal + address book and it works flawlessly. I have my exchange accounts linked in as well and use these on both my iPad and MacBook. Outlook 2011 looks promising but I will likely stick to mail. I enjoy the interface and integration much more.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Personally, I really hate Outlook and Entourage because they store all their mail in a monolithic database file. Outlook at least lets you have multiple .pst databases open at once, but with Entourage you have to create multiple Identities if you want to keep your mail database from getting to be too huge, slow, and unreliable. These big database files make incremental backups much slower and a huge waste of disk space, as well.

I vastly prefer the way Apple Mail and Thunderbird use separate folders and individual files for each message / mailbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.