Mac Emulator?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by trey5498, Jul 17, 2008.

1. trey5498 macrumors regular

Does anyone happen to know of a decent and working Mac Emulator that will run on windows vista? I do not have a Mac at home and I want to be able to test my programs at home as well as work.

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

that would be illegal because Mac OSX can only run on Apple Hardware

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you are doing work stuff at home, then ask your work to get you a Mac Mini, or just VNC into your work Mac.

6. sord macrumors 6502

PearPC is a PowerPC emulator that works for Mac OS X, Linux, etc. It's a little out of date, last version was December of 2005, but works none the less (http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/).

I'm not sure if VMWare, Virtual PC, or qemu support EFI, if they don't then the only way you can emulate Intel Mac OS X is "hackintosh"

It should be noted though that it is not legal to A) use OS X without a license, and B) use OS X on non-Apple hardware

7. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the license for it, however I did not know it was illegal to use with the hardware, figured as long as I wasn't trying to make money off it, I could install the purchased software that I bought anywhere I wanted.

8. Chris Corbyn macrumors newbie

Chris Corbyn

Don't try running PearPC these days.... it would be a complete waste of resources. PPC is very different from an intel architecture and emulating it is slow. VMWare can load hacked versions of intel OS X as a virtual machine. You can even use these same virtual machine images to create a dual boot on your PC between OS X and windows. As someone already said, Hackintosh ;)

Seriously though, get a mac mini. They're cheap and they're actually pretty decent little boxes if you've never owned a mac before. Pretty sure apple created the mac mini to encourage windows users into the apple market.

9. MrRage macrumors member

VNC is going to be your best bet it looks like.

Just a side note but work can legally say they own what ever it is your working on because it is being done on a work computer during work time. So if it anything you really don't want taken away from you, leave it at home.