Mac equivalent of CCleaner?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slothapotamus, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Slothapotamus macrumors member

Is there such a thing? I've tried Onyx and it doesn't clean out my Firefox files (cache, history, etc). The strange thing is that it used to. When I first got my MacBook about 13 months ago Onyx was great, but then when Firefox 3 came out it just stopped being able to clean out Firefox's history and subsequent versions of Onyx have failed to rectify this.

So basically I'm looking for a free (or cheap) Mac version of CCleaner.

2. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

3. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Firefox 3.5 comes with private browsing tools which should leave no trace of your browsing history on your computer. It's currently in beta, with Release Candidate 1 available next week (probably).

4. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I don't think that's what he means... CCleaner does a lot more than just that!!

5. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I know - I use CCleaner on a work PC. OP was fairly specific on removing Firefox files though, hence my suggestion of 3.5 and private browsing. More info here:
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Private+Browsing

Of course Firefox does have the option in preferences>privacy to clear all private data on closing.

6. magentawave macrumors regular

I know what he's talking about. CCleaner is an indispensible free utility for Windows that cleans all that junk you accumulate with a Windows machine.

With a Windows machine you can also go to Start > Run > then type %temp% > Delete - and that deletes more junk that even clearing your cache (temporary internet files) and running CCleaner doesn't get.

So is there an equivalent program like that for a Mac that doesn't mess up your computer. Preferably free would be nice too. :)

Steve

7. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Cleaner apps such as this are not necessary and many do more harm than good. Do yourself a favor and don't use them! As an example, one app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much