Mac Equivalent to Start + Tab?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by direzze, Oct 21, 2009.

1. direzze macrumors member

I have seen and used many different Mac functions for managing opened windows, but none of them are as intuitive as Start + Tab. For me, Expose and Apple + Tab only help with managing windows that are "maximized" on the screen. Is there a way to manage all windows whether they are minimized or not? Maybe my settings are not configured correctly...

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's a little-known window-switching shortcut on Mac OS X that you may find useful. It's :apple:+` (backtick, that little symbol near Escape on most keyboards). This goes forward through an application's window sequence. To go backwards, add Shift to that keystroke combination. This works well with :apple:+Tab (for switching apps) and Expose.

3. direzze thread starter macrumors member

That is quite helpful. Still not very intuitive, but something I could get used to. In fact, it is a bit more organized than the Windows approach.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That still doesn't answer the OP's question, since it doesn't tab through windows that have been minimized. That only tabs through windows of the same application. So if you have 4 TextEdit windows open, one minimized, and 4 Finder windows open, one minimized, +` will tab through either the 3 non-minimized Finder windows OR the 3 non-minimized TextEdit windows, but not through all 6 open windows and not through any of the minimized windows.

A side note: If you want to maximize a minimized application, +Tab to it, then keep holding  down and press the Option key. Then release both Option and  at the same time and the window will maximize.

Another helpful tool is when you have your screen cluttered with lots of windows and you want to focus on just one, hold +Option and click the desired app's icon on the Dock. Everything but that app will be hidden.

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I don't think there's anything which does precisely what you want.

The closest alternative may be:
    - Exposé in Snow Leopard includes minimised windows, so show Exposé (by whatever key it's set to on your machine).
    - You can use Cmd-Tab or Cmd-` to switch to the correct application.
    - You can use arrow keys to select the minimised or non-minimised file you want, then press Return to show it.

(I don't have Snow Leopard, so I haven't tried this).

6. direzze thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. These are all very helpful tips. I find it odd how Apple makes Window management this tricky, but I guess using the mouse is an almost vital part of using OS X.

I have not tried it yet, but if Expose does show minimized windows in Snow Leopard, then that just may be the best option for me (without using third party software).

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Windows and OSX certainly have different approaches to window/app management; I'm not sure either is really "better", both have pluses and minuses. You're probably right though, that most Mac users probably have the left hand on the keyboard and right hand on the mouse much of the time.

p.s. the Cmd-Tab keystroke isn't just for switching apps.
    - You can also hide an app (by hitting "H" while the app is selected) or quit it (by hitting "Q").
    - You can also click on an icon rather than repeatedly hitting Tab.
    - You can also use Cmd-Tab while in Exposé.
    - You can even drag and drop onto the Cmd-Tab icons while in Exposé.

8. direzze thread starter macrumors member

I consider myself very lazy when using the computer, so the mouse is usually my enemy :( You seem to know your shortcuts quite well though so I guess it is only a matter of time before I know them just as well. All of these tips are great

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy Witch; it's the best program I've found for switching through windows from the keyboard.

10. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I've also found switching through windows is a bit non-intuitive on the Mac side, but it's just something I got used to. I did learn a few shortcuts from this thread, so thanks. And just a helpful hint, when I switched I got the app KeyCue to help me learn all the shortcuts, and it's really helped. No, I'm not in any way related to the program, just very pleased with it. :p

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If it helps, you can also re-map the modifier keys (Ctrl, Alt, Cmd, Caps Lock) in the Keyboard pane of System Preferences.

You can also add/change the keystroke for any menu item in any app in the Keyboard Shortcuts pane.

Might help you adjust to the OSX way of doing things.

12. direzze thread starter macrumors member

I just don't wanna mess with the standard configuration. It's best if I just learn it without doing too much customization, and then when I get more comfortable I can tweak things

I'll also look into Witch and KeyCue, so thanks for those suggestions as well :>

13. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I think the easiest answer is to not minimize windows. With apple+tab, apple+`, and expose, there's really no reason to.

14. direzze thread starter macrumors member

There are many reasons to minimize windows... that's why it's a feature to begin with :rolleyes: