Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzhlin

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Not sure if this works, but you can try to run MS Publisher on Mac via Wineskin (or other Mac apps that allow you to run windows software).

sandiat

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
Don't trash Publisher...

I am a (gasp!) PC user who has worked quite successfully with Publisher for many, many years. I built my first web site with it. I continue to create promotional materials for any number of non-profits that are uploaded to commercial presses. Some years ago I was asked by a commercial press rep what Mac program I used. He was astounded to hear that I used Publisher on a PC!

That said, my daughter has become an ardent Mac user and is looking for an equivalent program and hasn't had any success. Nothing seems to have the simplicity and ease of use that Publisher has. BTW, Word is a perfectly AWFUL substitute as it hasn't got the versatility of Publisher!

So, I will monitor this thread to see what you folks out there in Macland come up with!

(This, by the way, is the first time I've posted to ANY forum! It figures it would be a Mac forum!!)

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
You could take the .pub files and convert them using Zamzar into a .doc file. Then they could be read and manipulated in Open Office or other similar applications. This app does it online and sends the result to an email account. You can see the formats converted from or to at this link

Last edited:

kcnsb11

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Pages is fine compared to the other

MS Publisher is easy and good because one can put a text box or picture exactly where one wants. Any opinions?

What do you mean that you cannot put a text box or picture exactly where one wants? If you only use the word processing for pages then that is correct but if you use the page layout option you can move pictures and text where you want them and inspector allows you to turn them for added effect! It works fine compared to publisher and it also allows you to save to word and pdf if needed to send to a pc.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

I'm confused as to how Pages is not a completely viable option for 95% of us that need to make simple flyers and graphics.

What can't it do that the layperson needs, when compared to InDesign or Quark?

----------

I am a (gasp!) PC user who has worked quite successfully with Publisher for many, many years. I built my first web site with it. I continue to create promotional materials for any number of non-profits that are uploaded to commercial presses. Some years ago I was asked by a commercial press rep what Mac program I used. He was astounded to hear that I used Publisher on a PC!

That said, my daughter has become an ardent Mac user and is looking for an equivalent program and hasn't had any success. Nothing seems to have the simplicity and ease of use that Publisher has. BTW, Word is a perfectly AWFUL substitute as it hasn't got the versatility of Publisher!

So, I will monitor this thread to see what you folks out there in Macland come up with!

(This, by the way, is the first time I've posted to ANY forum! It figures it would be a Mac forum!!)

Not that Publisher is bad, it's just not compatible with anything. Nothing against it besides that.

Jon Clifton

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
Germany, Central USA
That is my point. There is no option.

Microsoft Publisher is an island.

We have a Pre-as well as Press operations running in our business and because of the customers Microsoft setup have found that Publisher is far from dead, yes ok its easier for us to go from Apple products direct to print where possible... but most of our customers are sending us Publisher files. No time to play around converting so it would be great for us to know what Apple product can open or convert .pub files as well. Alot of the comments look as if there are some heavy sided mac users with little experience with customers not having the option on sending other formats. We simply dont have the time to convert and play around with the files so we go direct from Publisher to digital press. Most of the customers dont care as long as the end product is what they are expecting, what Publisher does well enough.

eeddgg

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Microsoft Publisher is a steaming pile of abject failure. It is the software equivalent of the Black Plague.

You may open Publisher files with . . . . wait for it . . . . wait for it . . . . NOTHING . . . . . except Publisher.

Find something, anything, nothing will take its place.
That is a lie, you can use LibreOffice, it converts them to easily editable format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.