Mac essentials and organization

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jshwon, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Looking for a little help here. I am pretty new to the Mac universe and have engulfed myself reading all things Mac since buying my iPhone and Mini. The problem is that it seems kind of overwhelming with so much to learn in terms of the "Mac way to do things".

Although I work on Unix daily at home I've always used Windows for the sake of the wife. Now switching to Mac its like I'm starting all over again. I knew about all the apps and things to watch out for on Windows. What I need to know is the best way to go about getting things organized and get settled in a Mac. Using Windows I had everything organized in folders etc and its hard to get out of that folder hierarchy mentality.

What I've done so far is transfer my photos to iPhoto, bring over my iTunes library, rip the rest of my CD's (still doing that) and install some apps. The Mini is used as a media center so there are a few things I still need to get (external HD). But I wanted to know how those that switched from Windows were able to achieve the same comfort level they had on Mac.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Mostly by asking questions here. Switched the day that Intel switched to Apple, and I just peppered this place with questions as they arose. You'll usually get a reliable response within a few minutes and be that much further along for the interaction.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Macs use a folder structure too so I'm not sure why you're confused...

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i just organised all my files into the folders that where provided for me in my home folder. already new about the dock so i organised that straight away. transferred my music/movies/podcasts into iTunes and photos into iPhoto using my ipod and the network.

one thing to remember when using iTunes and iPhoto: let them take care of your files and open and modify your music and photos within the app. messing around with the libraries ends up with exclamation points and missing files... trust me ;).

other than that just jump into the deep end and start using Mac OS X full time. once you master your workflow you never use another OS. you already know Unix so i guess youll be living in the terminal. a great place for Unix and Mac OS X hints is macosxhints.com. also ask questions here if you have an troubles ill look out for ya! ;)

5. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Yes OS X use folders as well but in a much different way. What I was getting at was understanding the Mac file structure (Library files etc) and how it handles system files etc differently from Windows. I guess the best way to look at it is from a Unix perspective but even that is a different flavor.

Right, for the most part I just leave the iTunes lib file alone. The only thing I did do is move it to my public folder so that other accounts on the Mac can have the same music. Which I'll have to move again once I get my external HD.

And that kind of hit the nail on the head. Trying to define a "workflow" on the Mac with how I handle and organize files, user accounts, backups, and overall management.

6. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Since I'm used to having a home directory under Linux, I've really taken that way of organizing my files into OS X as well (I'm a very recent switcher myself.)

One thing I haven't found out how to do yet - what's an equivalent in windows of hitting Windows Key+L to lock the current account (without actually logging out)?

-Bryan

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You can explore yourself Like i did or you can get a book it's pretty simple to use and get the hang of but it takes maybe a week give it some time.

8. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Bryan,

http://www.macworld.com/article/49080/2006/01/lockscreen.html should have some more information on locking the screen quickly. There are configurable hot keys and hot corners of the screen that you can use to accomplish this task.

9. rhyx macrumors 6502

I usually set one of the corners to be "lock machine"

10. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Something weird is happening. I have my iTunes library shared so other user accounts can all have the same music. On the music folder I gave the account read write privledges. I have been ripping my cd's just fine up until two min ago and now it tells me I dont have the perms to do it! I checked the folder and the perms are there but iTunes wont let me import the cd's to the library basically out of the blue.