Mac Excel - Merge/Filter/Extract into a single Excel File???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MktgWiz, Feb 5, 2009.

1. MktgWiz macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone

I am searching for a plugin, software or a solution for a situation I have with an Excel/Word Mail Merge.

It's a law firm we specialize in DUI/DWI and Reckless Driving defense. We subscribe to a data collection service that pulls data from various court systems around the state. We are then given this data by jurisdiction. The Excel files we receive come with 2 workbooks in one file for Traffic and Criminal arrests data with name, address, reason for arrest, etc, etc.

What I have been doing is opening each Excel file and copying and pasting into a new worksheet only grabbing the DUI and Reckless driving arrests because tis is all I am needing from the various files. I then save the new workbook and do a mail merge with Word from this newly created workbook.

Now my question is there such a plugin or software that will combine all the Excel files I receive from the Data collection house and then be able to filter out only the DUI and Reckless Driving arrests to a single Excel Workbook?

Whew I think I explained that well enough. Any help would be appreciated!

Successfully yours,

George

2. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Are you using the filtering capabilities of Excel to do this? As long as there is a column which tells you what row is DUI/DWI you should be able to do this. Normally VBA would be used to do the rest but I am not sure if Excel on the Mac has VBA capabilities. What version of Excel are you running?

3. MktgWiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Excel - Follow-up

I have not even looked into the filtering within Excel (Did not know it existed) I will check this out, however still sounds like I would have to load each Excel file then do the filter option you mention?

I am running MS Mac Excel 2008 Ver. 12.1.5 on a MacBook Pro and latest Leopard OS.

VBA?

-George

4. GregE macrumors 6502

5. GregE macrumors 6502

Excel 2008 does have the consolidate function and I could get it to work with some fake sheets I made.

Good luck

6. Iphy macrumors newbie

Mail merge word and excel document

Hi, after working on a pc for many many years I switched to a Mac. And now I am stuck... I need to merge fields from an excel sheet into a word document and I can't figure it out! I did print "using mail merge in word X on a mac" but after trying several times it does not work :-(. Is there anyone out there who can help a brand new Mac user? Thanks a million

7. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

I'd start your own thread. Its considered bad form to post your questions on other people's threads.

8. rcancill macrumors newbie

Got a solution for you

After a very frustrating search, I found a tool that would merge any spreadsheet with standard column headers. It is a plugin called RDBMerge found at http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm It absolutely works perfectly and its free open source (developer asks for a donation)!!!

BEWARE there is some major junk out there claiming to do this. The biggest pieces of cyberjunk were:

Bulk File Merger -- crap doesn't work! Costs $79
    JMC Excel -- more junk doesn't work

9. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I fell victim to Bulk File Merger in an attempt to do this exact same thing several months ago. I wasn't happy. lol