Mac exchange on Craigslist - question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Decimotox, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

Don't think this is a noob question, but maybe it is. I swapped my old Mac Mini for a 2010 Macbook Pro. Everything was legit. We met initially and he showed me the laptop, which is is fantastic condition. I sent vids and pics of the Mini booting up and the specs info and everything. We made the exchange tonight and no problems at all so far, but I see he hasn't removed the serial number from his Apple Support profile. I went to add it to my profile and it says it's already tied to another Apple ID. Now, no iCloud issues or Find my Mac issues or anything - nothing's locked, but I just want to know - if it's still on his Apple Support Profile, could I foresee any issues down the road? The guy was super nice and didn't even ask to see my Mini in person working (so he probably just took a chance that it was in good working order and everything, which it was). He said he even owned a few Minis and that he didn't use this MBP anymore since he works on a laptop all day. He wanted to use my Mini for a HTPC type of thing.

I've made quite a few swaps and sales/buys on Craigslist, so I'm no stranger to that. I'm always careful and meet in public places and everything, so no worries. Perhaps we should have met in an Apple Store for this, but it's whatever at this point. Again, no locking or anything, I just want to know if I can expect or even have potential problems down the road.

Thanks and please don't flame me for the Craigslist thing lol. :p
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2016 ---
    Hope this is the right section... A little "lit", as the kids say these days, and couldn't find a better forum lol.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Why not email him and ask him to remove it from his profile he sounds nice and would surely do so, then there is no issue.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

You could ask him about it. Who cares if it's not in your support file, it's not like it's even under warranty etc.

4. Decimotox thread starter macrumors 6502a

For sure, I'll ask him. He was a middle-aged guy who seemed to be knowledgeable and all, but I just got the vibe that he didn't know the support profile part of it. I've never had any problems, but I just wanted to be sure he couldn't lock the MBP or anything with still having the serial number on his profile. I'm sure I'll be fine, just got caught with a bit of paranoia there, haha.

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

I sold an iPhone and an iPad just a couple of weeks ago, and my "deal" often includes giving the buyer a couple of weeks as insurance to make sure they're happy and the thing works.

My point? I also hold off on deleting the device from my Apple Support Portal (addressed in my bill of sale). The last couple of sales that I made took about 48-odd hours before the buyers could register the relevant device in their Support portal - a longer time period than I'm accustomed to. I'd see the deletion of the device right away, but they couldn't get results for about 3 days. Annoying, that.

6. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Most people have never heard of the Apple Support Profile before. If they buy a Mac from the Apple store and they provide their email of their Apple ID, it gets added automatically. If you send them the link, they usually figure it out.