Mac ext hdd on pc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaniel, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I have googled and I have attempted to use the software macdrive but that seems to require me to format the drive i have.

I have a ext hdd with all the info i have backedup from my mac, i dont have a mac at the moment and I need the info in the drive to be accesible from a windows 7 pc.. any ideas?

THANKS!!!!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac Drive does not need to format the external HDD, maybe you don't use it correctly.

There is also HFSExplorer, but it's kinda crappy.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1

In addition, I think Time Machine files aren't accessible as they are, you need TM for that. You could always create FAT32 partition and use that with Windows

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But one can browse TM via Finder and using the backups.backupdb folder, why shouldn't it be visible with MacDrive?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmm, you're right. I thought they were compressed but they aren't. I just tried it (but not with MacDrive) and I was able to play some songs which aren't in my iMac anymore, so yea, it should work, my bad

6. Panzo macrumors 6502

what did you try with? i cant access the parsebundle as its full of random files

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So it does not look like this for you?
    [​IMG]

LEOPARD being the name of the Mac or HDD, I don't know anymore.

Or were you referring to something else?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I just opened Finder and clicked my TM HD. Then opened the backups folder and selected my iMac, navigated to my music folder and double clicked it.

9. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

my ext hdd is really small and it just has some of my important files i backed up manually from my mac not time machine or anything like that..thing is now when I connect it to my pc it does not read...

and when i try and open the mac whatever thingy and I click read mac disk or whatever that first option is... and it asks me to format my drive.....

so what can I do here