Mac External Harddrive issue with xp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by invertedparadox, Oct 6, 2010.

1. invertedparadox macrumors newbie

Hey guys

My macbook passed away a few days ago and my western digital HD is formatted to macin (HFS) Now i have problems trying to get it to work in XP.

Ive tried NTSF and there is no option for FAT32,only exfat and neither work. exFAT doesnt work at all and NTSF formatted literally till the end then told me that it was unsuccessful

N.B its a 1TB

Appreciate the help.:)

foxparadox

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

In other words:

You have an external HDD, that you used with Mac OS X and was formatted with the Mac OS Extended file system called HFS+.

Now you want to format that HDD using NTFS or FAT32 as a file system, but Windows XP (which SP?) does not give you the option or aborts the formatting short before finishing the job.

Now to the questions:

How did you try to format (and erase the contents on) the HDD? What tools or steps did you take?

3. invertedparadox thread starter macrumors newbie

Format steps

What i did was that used a program called HFSE explorer to try and get my stuff back,it worked...mostly,but what happened then was that i was hoping to get all my media/work of it put it on another smaller HD then format it to what ever format would be most beneficial for me then place the media content back on the newly formatted NTSF or FAT file system.
    how i tried to format was the simple conventional method on right clicking in XP and format,that didnt work and i tried to do the complex way and click "manage" on "my computer" icon and I followed the steps, but no use.

I used mac-drive and that worked for a while as in i was able to read and write to the HDD, until it started asking me for an activation code last week.

and here i am. Thats all i can remember

N.B XP Sp3 (Build 2600)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. invertedparadox thread starter macrumors newbie

Bingo

yea thats it!,sorry for you having to clarify!

maybe im just doing it wrong, which it could easily be! but that didnt work for me.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you can post screen shots, we may be able to take you through it step by step.

B