Mac: External HD and burner

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
I am buying a Mac about the middle of next month and I will be a first time Mac owner (the Apple IIe I had as a child doesn’t count!). I need advice on 2 accounts. I am going to buy the 1.8 G5 iMac with the combo drive. I felt it might just be safer to save the money on the upgrade to a 2.0 and put it into an external hard drive and external DVD burner. This is where I need help.

What type of HD and burner would you suggest? I hear Lacie makes great external HD. And I love their DVD burner with Lightscribe however I hear it is not fully compatible with iDVD which is I would prefer it do work with. What external burner would you suggest?

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Why external???
You would be best with the apple supplied superdrive for full compatibilty with iDVD, etc.
If you want to do lightscribe, you could get an external one at a later stage.

EDIT: For HDD I recommend one of the lacie triple interface models... I have a 250GB

Comment

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
epepper9 said:
Why external???
You would be best with the apple supplied superdrive for full compatibilty with iDVD, etc.
If you want to do lightscribe, you could get an external one at a later stage.
Well, I dont really have a need for the 2.0 Ghz just to pay $200 more to get a SLIGHTLY faster processor and a DVD burner. I can save the $200 and put it into a DVD burner and part of an external HD.

Comment

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Can anyone help clear up my question about if external DVD burners are compatable with iDVD? I have tried to search the forums here and havent really found a clear yes or no answer. I would be buying a new DVD burner, so it wont be something that is old and potentially incompatable with Mac.

Comment

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
if you are interested i have an adapter that changes and ide drive (hd, dvd, etc) in to a usb combatible drive
lmk
this might work for you

Comment

DocB

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2004
Wichita, KS
while I don't have one myself, some friends of mine recommend the Lacie external HD. Relatively inexpensive and they use it to back up their entire HD.

Comment

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
I have a Maxtor One Touch II 200GB External Hard Drive, and I love it.
I got a really good deal on it too at Office Depot. I would get a Lacie external DVD burner.

Comment

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
Well, I dont really have a need for the 2.0 Ghz just to pay $200 more to get a SLIGHTLY faster processor and a DVD burner. I can save the $200 and put it into a DVD burner and part of an external HD.
My apologies... I didn't realise the model you wanted was combo only.
I'd say to go with a Pioneer DVR-110 in a firewire case or something..

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.