Mac - External HD help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pokernut, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Pokernut macrumors member

I use my external HD to store all my pictures/music/movies etc. I used it with my old Mac Mini and everything worked fine. I recently sold my old mini and purchased the new one. When I connected my HD to the new mini all the photos are gone?? All my music/movies are still there and work fine, but all the folders which I have my pictures in are either empty or have a thumbs.db icon.

When I check the properties of each picture folder it still shows that pictures are in there because of the size. I have no idea what is going on. Btw I use a Maxtor 1tb hd.

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Are you using iPhoto? If so, which version of iPhoto on each mini?

3. Pokernut thread starter macrumors member

On the old Mini, I used the original iPhoto but then updated it to iPhoto '09. The new Mini came with iPhoto '09.

4. jonnytruant macrumors member

jonnytruant

Did you try running Disk repair??

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

What happens when you launch iPhoto on the new mini? You mention folders being empty, are you referring to folders viewed with Finder? The reason I ask is that starting with I believe iPhoto '08 (7.1.5), iPhoto keeps the photos in a package file not in individual folders and as such isn't directly viewable with Finder.

6. Pokernut thread starter macrumors member

When I launch iPhoto '09 on the new mini, it shows all my Events, but they are all empty.

When I open my external HD, and click on my 'Picture' folder, it still has all of the subfolders I created to organize my photos. But when I open a folder, there's no pictures, just a thumbnail called 'thumbs.db'. And I can't open it, I tried to open it in the new iPhoto but I get an error message.

7. Pokernut thread starter macrumors member

Should I run the Disk repair on the external hd?

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Now I'm really confused. You said you were using iPhoto '09 on the old mini as well as the new mini and as I said in my previous message iPhoto starting with iPhoto '08 keeps it's photos in a package file not in individual folders. Have you tried using Spotlight and searching both your internal and external for iPhoto Library (as that's the default name)?

9. jonnytruant macrumors member

jonnytruant

Yes, verify first and cross your fingers that you get an "OK" See the attached picture

Attached Files:

10. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73