Mac External HDD: 750GB or more

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ScottC2105, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ScottC2105 macrumors member

I am still deciding if to switch to an iMac or not and I thought to myself "what about file storage?".

So, I thought I would ask here on MacRumors (while I decide) if anyone knows any great external HDDs for Macs that are 750GB or larger in size.

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Any external drive will work. Get a 20 case, and then a 750gb drive, cheapest option.

3. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

Any recommendations? I plan to get an iMac 24" which I believe has a Firewire 800 port.

4. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

I have just found this (750Gb Seagate FreeAgent Pro 16Mb 7200rpm USB, Firewire 400 and eSATA) and the Seagate site says you can format the drive to work on a Mac but the bundled software won't work but I am not too bothered about that.

Is Firewire 400 fast enough as I see no current iMacs have eSATA?

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

What's your main purpose of the ext. drive just straight backups or video editing ?

If straight backups then firewire 400 do fine... Video editing needs firewire 800 to get the best results..

6. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

Storage for videos and video editing mainly.

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Ok then you need the 24" iMac ..the 20" only has firewire 400 port/usb 2.0, no firewire 800..

8. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

That is the one I am planning to get :). Any recommendations on an External HDD?

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Seagate already-build drives have a 3 year warranty from Seagate..

But to get a 5 yr warranty from seagate: build your own ext. drive ..

Buy a external 3.5" drive case make sure it has Firewire 800 on the case,any size of internal hard drive -- IDE/Pata/the 40 pin drive (Seagate) then pop the drive into the case and power it up and plug it in then format under disk utility ..

Ready to use...

10. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I haven't got back to this thread. I wouldn't mind buying 2 x 500GB Seagate 7200.10 drives and placing them in a "cage".

Any recommendations for a "cage"?

11. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

It used to be the case that external drives were significantly more expensive than just getting an internal drive. These days, that's not necessarily true.

If you have a Fry's electronics nearby, hit that up. The stores often have deals that even the website doesn't. I recently picked up a 750GB Seagate (1 year warranty, though) for $220. The 5-year warranty version was $300.

Why buy a pre-built external rather than building one yourself? I've built half a dozen externals, and while it's a great way to put an old, replaced internal drive to use, it's not the most efficient. With every case I've used, the drive will spin 24/7. Externals are more efficient. In particular, I recently used a couple of Lacie drives that would actually spin down when ejected within Mac OS. None of my DIY externals do this.

In sum, try to find a good deal on an external. Chances are you'll be paying no more than a $20 premium with the right deal, and you won't have to build it yourself.

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm also looking for a good external HD. But I think I've settled on this particular setup:

(US prices)
    A USB2/FW400+800 'Cage' from OWC with a 2 SATA bays. ($120)
    2x 750gb Seagate drives from newegg. (2x$270) <these are enterprise drives

Those prices may be a little high for you guys, but from Australia, you can't find a better deal. So i'm having these shipped over.