Mac External Microphone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlindOptimism, Apr 1, 2012.

1. BlindOptimism macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I know nothing about sound and microphone stuff. I'm learning as I go, so forgive me if all of this is achingly obvious.

I wanted to buy a cheap lavalier microphone for some video recording I need to do. I need it to plug into a source other than my camera, so I assumed my computer (Macbook Pro Early 2008) would be the best choice. I ordered the Trantec LP2 because it was cheap and had a mini-jack that I assumed would plug straight into my computer and work. It does not.

So, having done a little research, I'm guessing that my mic has no pre-amp (or whatever the technical term is) and needs to be powered externally. To solve this, I purchased a very cheap USB bus-powered external sound card, which I assumed would be enough to power the mic. It does not.

Can anybody just quickly tell me what I can plug my microphone in to to make it work? I saw an iMic suggested, but I don't want to spend £20 on something I'm not sure will work. It doesn't need to even be a computer add-on...I can use an external audio capturing device (like a dictophone?) if need be, but the only requisit is that I don't want to spend £££'s. I don't particuarly need high-end stuff, I just need something cheap that will read the mic I've already bought.

Or, on the flip side, if anyone knows of any similarly-priced mics that would do a better job than my LP2 without addition equipment needed, feel free to suggest them to me, as I'm thinking of just cutting my losses and selling this one on ebay.

Thanks for your help. Here are some links for the devices I mentioned:

Trantec LP2

External Soundcard

iMic

2. WRP macrumors 6502a

The word you are looking for is "phantom" power. You need something that can phantom power your mic and through a 1/8" jack. I have a zoom h4n and I don't think that can phantom anything but the XLR's but I could be mistaken as I only use wireless lavs.

3. BlindOptimism thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response! I'll do some research into phantom power and see what I can find out. Thanks again for your help! :)