Mac fan really loud

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Runeshadow, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Runeshadow macrumors newbie

I was using my mac, And it powered off, so I rebooted it and the fan was really loud, And so I turned off my mac for the night, and I come back and turn it on and it is still really loud, Please help, It is REALLY annoying, Thank you.

2. Spike88, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

When an iMac gets "too hot" (way too hot), it does "last resort" auto-shut down process. When it over cooks its insides &/or does an emergency shut down, its SMC settings can become scrambled. Thus, its fan can be set super fast RPM - when the iMac is restarted. Scrambled SMC settings can be one of negative rebound effects of emergency shut downs - from being too hot.

To reset SMC (and its brains), surf: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

As a suggestion, also install iSlayer iStats Nano ( http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatnano/ ) or iStats Pro (both are free widgets) and monitor your iMac's internal heat and internal fan RPMs. If you see any fan stuck on 0 RPM, then that specfic fan needs to be repaired / replaced. If you see the HD starting to go above 60C, then its insides are being over cooked. Apply "proactive" cooling measures to keep its insides cooler...

Hope this helps....

3. Runeshadow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

That helped ALOT. I didn't get the page you replied, I dont think it even said how to reset, but I just google searched and found it.

For those who find this thread via google or something, to reset the smc requires 5 steps,

[1] Shut down your mac.
    [2] Unplug the power cables.
    [3] Hold the power button for 5 seconds and release.
    [4] Re-plug the power cables.
    [5] Re-boot the mac as you would normally

If this doesn't work, Idk how to help.