Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
^ Simple. Don't take anything electronic near water sources. And just for future reference, when you get a electronic device wet in any way (Drop it in the toilet, ect) the worst thing you can do is turn it on right after and say (OH NO IT DOESN'T WORK). It's highly likely that one trying to turn on the device while it is still wet is what killed it, not it getting wet. Make sure it is dry COMPLETELY before turning it on. Put it in a bag of rice or something =D

SwedishBassist

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Many years ago in high school, we put on a production of Sweet Charity. One of the lead actors dropped their wireless transmitter in the toilet. We unscrewed it, dried it out - and it worked :D

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
^ Simple. Don't take anything electronic near water sources. And just for future reference, when you get a electronic device wet in any way (Drop it in the toilet, ect) the worst thing you can do is turn it on right after and say (OH NO IT DOESN'T WORK). It's highly likely that one trying to turn on the device while it is still wet is what killed it, not it getting wet. Make sure it is dry COMPLETELY before turning it on. Put it in a bag of rice or something =D

And if it was on when it goes for a swim hoik it out and remove the battery ASAP (My MacBook survived a Relentless Spill courtesy of this and then being left to dry for 48hours)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Who wuz da fool
Who tossed the MacBook in da pool?"
(apologies to Phil Ochs...)

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
If it is still in warranty (Limited or APP) you might also try going to the Apple Store... be completely honest and be very humbled and if this is your first time with physical/accidental damage... they might just help you. I have fixed similar stuff at the apple store for people that were #1 Nice, #2 Honest, #3 Needed a break, #4 had no prior issues.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If it is still in warranty (Limited or APP) you might also try going to the Apple Store... be completely honest and be very humbled and if this is your first time with physical/accidental damage... they might just help you. I have fixed similar stuff at the apple store for people that were #1 Nice, #2 Honest, #3 Needed a break, #4 had no prior issues.

How could an Apple Store employee write off a water damage with a free repair, if a free repair is what you are alluding to?

Politis

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Was pool mac proof?

Holy Jiminy Cricket! Was the pool Mac proof? If not, call Pool maintenance immediately!

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
If it was off there was only slight hope you could have dried it out. You will probably hate to hear it but when you hit the power button you definitely smoked it.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
shutterstock_3029105-224x130.jpg

Methinks something like this happened.

DarkVinda

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Manchester, UK
Hi,

Well if the mac WASNT on and you've not tried to turn it on - then you might be in luck...

replace the battery...prob best plan...you would then need to leave it somewhere to dry - not a radiator (bag of rice - works same theory as silica gel) and i personally would leave it for around a week!

or find somewhere that would do a sonic bath on the logic board....my mate swears by the for mobile phones - he's a nokia trained engineer...

if at any point you've pressed the power button - then you are gonna be flat out of luck! as this will prob short shed loads of components and kill it...

good luck...

Politis

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Apple makes them water resistent

Jajajajajajajajaaa!!!! Yes it is dead.

It's dead in the sense that it is not a living organism. But the Macbook Pro is water-resistant to a depth of 120 meters. It's the way they make them at Apple. I share mine with my pet goldfish - his name is Steve.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Yeah my entire Mac Pro set up with cinema display fell in my pool. Will apple care cover this? They should I mean really:mad:

On a serious note theres a 90% chance its dead...this isnt an iPhone this is a full laptop with much more openings. The thing is probably full of more water than the glass next to me!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
We still haven't heard back from the OP on what transpired to cause the MBP to go swimming or what has happened since. I wonder if he fell in the pool too. :confused:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Haha I was reading this thread on my MBP while "taking notes" in biology class. My teacher got off on a tangent how teenagers' frontal lobes are not developed (especially in teenage boys), which is why they (us) make such bad decisions. It made me think that the OP is probably a teenage boy... :rolleyes:

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Haha I was reading this thread on my MBP while "taking notes" in biology class. My teacher got off on a tangent how teenagers' frontal lobes are not developed (especially in teenage boys), which is why they (us) make such bad decisions. It made me think that the OP is probably a teenage boy... :rolleyes:

That's not rocket science haha, random but I have an abnormally developed frontal lobe in comparison to other teenagers and always have. I'm trying to imagine the thought of even bringing a $1000+ device near water let alone a giant pool of it. Sigh*..I guess if you can pay 15k+ for a pool you can pay for a new MacBook!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006

Hehe.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
That's not rocket science haha, random but I have an abnormally developed frontal lobe in comparison to other teenagers and always have. I'm trying to imagine the thought of even bringing a $1000+ device near water let alone a giant pool of it. Sigh*..I guess if you can pay 15k+ for a pool you can pay for a new MacBook!
I thought it was quite relevant to this thread. Thanks for proving me correct! :)

I thought so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.