Mac files downloaded on a PC first...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AppleWorking, Feb 18, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

Hello,

If I download and burn mac applications on a pc CD with win2k will a new MBP be able to read the disk and use the application installers without a hitch? From what I remember, don’t PC’s add an extra bit or something that corrupts the file somewhat? I also have an old Mac with OS9 on it, should I just download the apps on there and burn them with it instead? I need to make sure I have these apps available the day the MBP arrives, so I wanted to know the best way to go about it. All I have is an old Pismo with OS9, and an old pc with win2k.

Thanks for your help.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Burning them on a CD-ROM (CD's are burnt in an ISO standard -- at least, nowadays they are -- so that modern Mac and PC CDs don't differ) should be fine. I'd avoid including the OS 9 Pismo in the process.

You should also be able to just keep them on the Windows computer and access them over the network, but certainly you can burn them to a CD.

The issue isn't "corruption" of bits, certainly not with things like DMG image files or ZIP files. The issue that you sometimes run into is file permissions -- the file must be executable in OS X using the POSIX execution permission. I think if you're on an NTFS system it should be fine automatically, and if you put it on a FAT or CD volume, it should also be fine automatically....

3. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much for your help.

I also have a another question... I have a lot of work files on a blue and white mac running OS 8.5 that I want to transfer to a new MBP. The blue and white does not have wireless. What would be the best way to transfer these files over to the new MBP? Should I burn all of it on a CD? The file names are quite long and I would prefer to preserve the names instead of shorten them. I think the computer has an old version of retrospect on it, should I burn them as mac files and folders? Or should I try to see if the old mac can burn all of the files in the ISO format?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Use external harddrive or thumbdrive to transfer is probably easier than burning, if you cannot figure out how to network them.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With respect to the Blue & White, you can do that, or you can use a thumb USB drive as mentioned, or else you can just plug an ethernet cable between the two Macs and they will establish an ad-hoc network (does the B&W run OS X? It definitely should if it does, if it runs OS 9 I'm less sure) and then you should be able to open the B&W from the MBP and copy files over.

6. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

The B&W is very old and only has 8.5 on it. I'm almost afraid to use a thumb drive on it thinking it might have a fit and lock up. LOL Will a thumb drive even work on a machine this old, and with an OS that is ancient by today's standards? What format does the thumb drive have to be in to make this work? Also I have no idea how to network them with an ethernet cable. All I do know is that a lot of the extensions have been turned off in the B&W. If I hook up the cable between the two will they automatically see each other? Do I have to change any ethernet settings on the B&W and on the MBP to make this happen.

Thanks again for your help. :)