Mac Firmware password question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArcLP, May 24, 2016.

1. ArcLP macrumors newbie

Hello, I was curious if apple would be able to fix my issue.

First I want to say before you read further, no, my macbook is not stolen, nor would I have ever steal something. (Truthful. But not that it matters to say on a forum or website. anyone could lie, i suppose.).

My Macbook I got a few years ago was working perfect. I bought it second hand because it was cheaper. Long ago from a friend in a different state because he didn't like apple's OS after trying it, or some reason like that.

Anyways... I put an efi password on it a long while back and I can't remember it. If you've read about these topics, then that's obviously what most of the people will say.

Anyways, I obviously know I can't get it unlocked without receipt, sadly. And my ssd inside was acting buggy. And now I can't boot into recovery mode to fix it due to forgotten EFI.

The Macbook is a 2013 Model, No disk drive. Its been registered to my Apple ID, would apple be able to fix it if that's all I got? I know you need a receipt, but if its been registered to my apple ID (the serial), I could just take the SSD out and put it in another Macbook but I only have one 2013 model and I don't have one I can put the pcie ssd memory stick into, otherwise I would.

Unless I could request the receipt from apple but I doubt it due to I'm not the original purchaser. I can't ask the guy/my friend because I moved and don't really remember his contact details, sadly. I'm only 25 so I didn't save or get what I should of when I bought it because I didn't think that far head. when i got it so long ago.

Thank you for reading.

Originally posted on the apple support pages, not many replied.

I used one because I didn't want my brother trying to mess with my PC because he always tries to overwrite my password or delete my whole OS.After a while i forgot it existed.

It's a retina, so there is no way to unlock it sadly. I just was curious if the macbook being connected to my apple ID since I had it would work as a type of proof. Because if it was stolen the thief would not of been able to register it. Mines been registered on mine so I know its not stolen.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yeah you'd have to take it in to Apple and provide proof of ownership. There used to be tricks to disable the firmware password without doing that, but they don't work on the more recent Retina Macs where Apple has upped the security and soldered the RAM.

3. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Apple support can provide you with the definitive answer.