.Mac for $20 off?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cowm007 let us know that he found that Amazon is offering the "old" version of .Mac for almost $20 off, while the "new" version of .Mac is about $5 off.

Since the .Mac box simply contains a pre-paid activation code for one year of .Mac service, it seems likely that the "old" version of the .Mac retail box should be the same as the new one, and cheaper.

Article Link

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
Amazon usually charges $79 for .Mac -- so if nothing else, this shows that they've (at least, temporarily) raised the price.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
The best place for family packs is eBay. I just bought a 4.0 family pack from megawatts for $90 (plus $10 shipping). Compare this $100 to Apple's $179 plus tax.

grovey

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
eBay .Mac 4.0 activation keys

Hi:

For the amazon keys, or the eBay keys, are they giving full access to .Mac 5.0, as in the one with 10 GB of online storage, etc., or is Apple only giving you an older .Mac with 1 GB, etc.

Can someone who has bought the older 4.0 keys please confirm this?

Thanks very much

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Shouldn't matter how old the reg. keys are....

Apple offered the additional storage space to existing .Mac users as a free upgrade, across the board. At worst, you might sign on with an old 4.0 package and initally only get the 1GB of space, but Apple would then send you an email notice that you were being upgraded for free - and it would be changed to the 10GB.....

Hi:

For the amazon keys, or the eBay keys, are they giving full access to .Mac 5.0, as in the one with 10 GB of online storage, etc., or is Apple only giving you an older .Mac with 1 GB, etc.

Thanks very much

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
Hi:

Thanks very much
I had a .mac trial account with 50MB storage and bought a .mac 4.0 package family pack from eBay. When I activated it immediately showed the master account with 10GB and the sub accounts with 2.5GB. And it was only $100 and arrived in 2 days! I would highly recommend megawatts.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
From those links provided, the 4.0 version is sold by Amazon and is $79.99. The 5.0 version is sold by J&R Music World and you have to click the price to see it. When I click the price...it is also $79.99.

Not sure if it's region specific.

-Kevin

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
.mac version is really irrelevant. Since it is a subscription service once you are in a valid subscription all services are included (including any new ones).

grovey

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
.mac family pack on pricegrabber

in that case, go to pricegrabber and search for MA362Z/A, the product code for family pack. Compuweb is selling it for 80 plus shipping

mproud

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Why not buy a new machine?

Buy a new Mac, save $30 off .mac (so it'd be $69.95).

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Has anyone bought the 4.0 version off Amazon and seen if it really does give you the 5.0 version? I know logically it makes sense that it would, but just wanted to see if anyone has actually tried it and can confirm it 100% for sure.

I've got 14 more days to renew...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Has anyone bought the 4.0 version off Amazon and seen if it really does give you the 5.0 version? I know logically it makes sense that it would, but just wanted to see if anyone has actually tried it and can confirm it 100% for sure.

I've got 14 more days to renew...
yep, I've done this twice before. All I've ever paid for .Mac has been $79.

twocargar

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2006
Re: .Mac for $20 off?

Walk into any Apple retail store and you can prolly get .Mac for $69.95. The employees there are usually worried about making their .Mac sales numbers, so they'll gladly sell you one for the $30 off. That's how I buy mine every year!

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Walk into any Apple retail store and you can prolly get .Mac for $69.95. The employees there are usually worried about making their .Mac sales numbers, so they'll gladly sell you one for the $30 off. That's how I buy mine every year!
Is this true? I wondered why they push .mac SOOOOOO hard when you buy a new mac. I remember last year when we bought a macbook this girl must have asked 3 or 4 times "are you sure you dont want .mac?? Its really cool." I think I may have even made a thread about it here, how pushy they were with the add-on stuff.

edit - here was my thread from last year :) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=211376

And to add my own personal experience to the thread. Just bought a family pack off Ebay yesterday for $110 (where was the $100 one when I needed it). It was 4.0 but as soon as I registered it showed 10gb available with sub-accounts at 2.5gb. I dont think there is any distiction between 4.0 and 5.0

twocargar

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2006
Re: .Mac for $20 off?

In my experiences, it is true. There are no distinctions between the revision numbers except for the packaging. If you have a reg.code from long ago it will work as long as it hasn't been used before.

Is this true?

I dont think there is any distiction between 4.0 and 5.0

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
i have two boxes of .mac and i have had them for about 9 months...

im using one to renew in october... and hoping to keep the other one until the following october...

that should work right?

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
.MAC Question.

If One Buys .Mac off Amizon.com and the next year you buy it from them again so you don't pay the full $99 can you keep your account with every new version of .Mac?

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
If One Buys .Mac off Amizon.com and the next year you buy it from them again so you don't pay the full $99 can you keep your account with every new version of .Mac?
Yes. Never pay full price for a .mac account.

You are buying an activation code that works for new service or a renewal. It's not like buying iLife where '06 and '08 have different capabilities. If you are a member of .mac you have the .mac services as they exist at the time you are a member, regardless of when you signed up or when your renewal date comes around. All that matters is that you are a member right now if you want to use the services that are available right now.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I bought mine from Apple when they had a Black Friday sale last year. Can't remember how much it was now.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
Yes. Never pay full price for a .mac account.

You are buying an activation code that works for new service or a renewal. It's not like buying iLife where '06 and '08 have different capabilities. If you are a member of .mac you have the .mac services as they exist at the time you are a member, regardless of when you signed up or when your renewal date comes around. All that matters is that you are a member right now if you want to use the services that are available right now.
Of course if you are not a member right now you can get a free trial membership online and then transfer it with the activation key.

spacefm

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
How does one enter a new code to an existing account...?

to FriarTuk and anyone who knows how,

i have checked everywhere on the pages of my .mac account, and i don't see any place to enter the code from a .mac boxed version bought separately and after a .mac account has been purchased and started.

how do you add codes from boxed versions to existing accounts?

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
to FriarTuk and anyone who knows how,

i have checked everywhere on the pages of my .mac account, and i don't see any place to enter the code from a .mac boxed version bought separately and after a .mac account has been purchased and started.

how do you add codes from boxed versions to existing accounts?
When your account is about to expire you should get a warning at the upper left. Click the renew link and on the next page at the bottom it says "I have an activation code." Click that, next page enter the code. Thats it.

Attachments

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Sweet, thanks for all the tips, off to check eBay
Good plan. I bought my dot mac subscription on the day when it got upgraded. I got the family pack for cheaper than the single user pack would have cost me in the UK even if I take into account the higher education discount I could have gotten.

illicium

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
.Mac question from a future switcher

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am about to switch BACK to mac. I grew up on mac then when I went to college I was convinced that I would be better off with Winblows because of a few programs that I would need for a few classes. I am going to make the switch back when Leopard comes out.

My question is: Isn't there a way with .mac to use a browser on even a windows machine to connect to your mac at home just like a remote desktop type situation?