Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I am going to get a mac for college, but am first debating a macbook or pro (leaning towards the pro), and second don't know when the best time to buy it would be.

I have read the rumors that there will be a new macbook pro in the next few weeks, and would wait for that, but once that comes out, and if I know I want to get the pro, is there any advantage of waiting until August or September for the college deals?

Thanks!

if you game - get a macbook pro
if you just do internet and write papers - get a macbook

blackbelt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I do not game, but I am a webmaster for a non-profit, so i will have adobe flash, dreamweaver, and fireworks, possibly photoshop. I also do photography, and might get aperture. This is obviously a lot of programs (in addition to ilife and prob. Microsoft office for mac) Is a macbook rigid enough to perform under the stress, or will it go slow??? (is the processor and memory sufficient)

(thanks for everyones input, I really appriciate it)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I do not game, but I am a webmaster for a non-profit, so i will have adobe flash, dreamweaver, and fireworks, possibly photoshop. I also do photography, and might get aperture. This is obviously a lot of programs (in addition to ilife and prob. Microsoft office for mac) Is a macbook rigid enough to perform under the stress, or will it go slow??? (is the processor and memory sufficient)

none of the things you listed are gpu-intensive. More CPU and ram-intensive.

I would instead get a nice 7200rpm HD and 4 gigs of ram (3rd party ram!!!!!!) and maybe a nice monitor to go with it for the money.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!

a MacBook will be brilliant for your needs :)

blackbelt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
none of the things you listed are gpu-intensive. More CPU and ram-intensive.

I would instead get a nice 7200rpm HD and 4 gigs of ram (3rd party ram!!!!!!) and maybe a nice monitor to go with it for the money.

Thank you so much for your advice, you seem to really know what you are talking about! So let me pick your brain a bit more, if you don't mind... Do you think that I would be ok with a macbook, or do you think that I would have to go for the pro? The macbook only has the option for a 5400rpm HD, not the 7200rpm. And do you really think that I would need the 4GB of ram, I am not going to always have aperture, or photoshop open, I just need them to run smoothly when they are open. I think that most of the time, i will just be using iPhoto, iTunes, and word (and safari), non of which to my knowledge really take up much. I just want to have enough power to do more intensive things when i want to. I want a machine that can do everything right, and fast, but not all at once, and not all of the time.

Sorry for such a long question... does this make any sense?

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Thank you so much for your advice, you seem to really know what you are talking about! So let me pick your brain a bit more, if you don't mind... Do you think that I would be ok with a macbook, or do you think that I would have to go for the pro? The macbook only has the option for a 5400rpm HD, not the 7200rpm. And do you really think that I would need the 4GB of ram, I am not going to always have aperture, or photoshop open, I just need them to run smoothly when they are open. I think that most of the time, i will just be using iPhoto, iTunes, and word (and safari), non of which to my knowledge really take up much. I just want to have enough power to do more intensive things when i want to. I want a machine that can do everything right, and fast, but not all at once, and not all of the time.

Sorry for such a long question... does this make any sense?

A Macbook will be fine for you. You can buy a 7200RPM HDD from a third party, and install it yourself.

I'd also highly recommend maxing out the RAM (from a third party, of course). It's relatively cheap, and will greatly boost your performance.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Macbook is fine for lots of students unless you really need a 15" or 17" screen or you already have a desktop which an Air would be fine.

mackpro

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Indiana University
If I were you I'd register as an apple developer and get more $ of so you can go for a MacBook Pro. It will last you longer in terms of physical abuse (it has a metal case) and its performance wont be out dated for a while. However, make sure you wait for the new ones to be released sometime this month or the next month.

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
If I were you I'd register as an apple developer and get more $ of so you can go for a MacBook Pro. It will last you longer in terms of physical abuse (it has a metal case) and its performance wont be out dated for a while. However, make sure you wait for the new ones to be released sometime this month or the next month.

So Mackpro, are you saying that he should go for MacBook Pro?

blackbelt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I went to the Apple store today, and got their oppinion, and they thought that i should get the macBook Pro. Does anyone else have any input.

(clarification... I won't be using apeture, and photoshop a lot at all, I will more be using Dreamweaver and Fireworks for web stuff and simple graphics)

Thanks again!

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
Since your considering the Macbook Pro you can obviously afford it, (or like most of us 'can just about afford it but do it anyway and never regret it!') so I'd definitely sit on it for a week or two and buy the next gen of MBP.

Since you will easily keep this piece of kit for at least 3-4 years and not outgrow it one little bit the oomph of the graphics card and the bigger screen will ultimately justify themselves time and time again.

That said the Macbook is a fab little laptop...you could always buy one of those now and then add a 20" iMac into the mix 6 months from now...;)

blackbelt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Macbook Pro

I think that i have decided on the Macbook Pro. I couldn't tell... there wasn't the release of the new one yet. I thought that there was, looking at apple site, but it does not look too different. Can someone clear this up for me. And does anyone have a guess on when they will announce it, and how soon after it will be available. (based on previous upgrades.

:apple:Thanks!

harrisone23

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Air

Id get the air because its light, not that powerful but powerful enough, thin, cool and less energy.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
If you can afford it and not be hurting for money than go with the MacBook Pro and buy now. The machine is powerful enough to do everything you would want to do (I suggest not upgrading the RAM through Apple, but buying online and upgrading when the machine arrives). The MacBook would do everything buy heavy graphics or video unless you upgraded the RAM and even then you might not be happy the video card. The MBP is an amazing machine and I would own one if I could afford one, but don't feel bad if you get the MacBook as you will be very happy. Whichever is in your budget is your best bet.

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Macbook is perfectly good but it seems you want to have someone tell you mbp ... just go with what makes you happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.