Mac for djing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by radionickhead, Sep 6, 2008.

1. radionickhead macrumors regular

Hi , I'm posting on behalf of my dad who's a DJ..I'm new in the mac buisness and I'm wanting to purchase a macbook/macbook pro soon - so I've been reading up on these forums alot. My dad uses a laptop and a tower at "work" with external harddrives where he rips all his cd's on the harddrives and uses software to load the songs to his decks and perform his mixes e.t.c
    This usually happens with the laptop but knowing the nature of windows he has a tower as backup..I noticed the macmini and I was wondering if that would be a sensible choice?
    Obviously he would have to buy a monitor and have a mouse/keyboard to plug in..but would it work?
    Also, is there any sort of software similar that can be used on macs? (such as PCDJ) - and other custom software that categorizes his music.
    (We're talking a couple of terrabytes of mp3's)...
    I suggested the change to mac because he seeked stability (I know macs arent perfect but I know how chaotic windows can be)
    thanks for your help!

2. keltorsori macrumors regular

Go for the macbook. An external drive added in and you'll be set.

3. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

well if your running all your music from external hard drives, then a base model MacBook will be suffice... if your budget allows it though i'd suggest a Black Macbook, or base model MacBook Pro (which I personally own and use for my DJ needs)

Keep in mind that for DJ music use, we dont really need a lot of power in terms from a computer/laptop (of course the more the better). Its not like photo editing, video production, or even music production where processing speed, RAM, etc is essential.

In terms of software that organizes your music... I use iTunes :D
    it takes some playing around with and trial & error in terms of organizing to get it personally right.

...and when you do get a Mac, try out this cool DJ software DJ-1800 by Denon
    :apple: DJ Asian Sensation

4. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

one more question

I didnt wanna start a new thread..so if anyone could reply here..
    My interest is in recording music..I have an m-audio blackbox that I should check to see whether its compatible with macs (for starters atleast)
    And im running on a 1000 euro budget..This means I can probably buy a basic macbook(brand new) with apple care..But im also a bit of a gamer to be honest, and im thinking of whether its worth buying a macbook pro off of ebay maybe?
    what do you guys think?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure it's worth it, but you really want to game on a laptop? Just get a refurbished MacBook and then build a cheap 300€ gaming machine.

6. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

I considered buying both a macbook and buying a pc tower..but Im currently studying in the UK and so I go back and forth 4-5 times a year..
    Also 300 euros for a gaming tower is hardly anything..thats why I considered a macbook pro..but with my budget I'd have to get a used one and I don't really like buying second hand electronics (especially laptops as we all know most have a 2 year life expectancy)

7. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

8. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Um, yeah, either a MacBook or MacBook Pro and Serato Scratch for OS X...probably the best damn software/hardware combo in the business...but...expensive.

http://www.rane.com/scratch.html

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I've seen more DJs lately run their setups off iTunes also. I was watching one, and he accidentally hit the pause button while his songs were going on :p