Mac for editing (not professional)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grassgreen, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Grassgreen macrumors regular

Either imac or macbook, no preferences. Although it seems nice to travel with the computer, but its not a necessity. If I go for the imac I was thinking the 27 with 32gb.
    What do you guys think?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's totally a personal preference. You need to decide what's more important to you.

• Price and budget concerns, the laptop probably would be cheaper
    • Portability, do you want/need to take it with you
    • Larger screen size, the iMac fits that bill.

3. Grassgreen thread starter macrumors regular

with the specs I´m aiming at they both cost about the same. Not sure whats more important with video editing: RAM, cpu or gpu?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well, all of those are kind of important for video editing.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Perhaps working backwards might help - research the software first. See what are the best set ups per your choice of software.

Some software can take advantage of the GPU (video) and some do not. Those that do, consider if it is the NVidia or ATI (open GL vs Open CL etc.). As well some do better with more powerful CPU. Nearly all take advantage of larger amounts of RAM so which option of hardware can handle more RAM etc.
    Since video editing takes up a fair amount of drive space - what are your drive options as far as volume and speed (explore SSD, large drives, external drives etc.)

Last - depending on what you are doing, you may want to ensure consistent colour balance. This requires some 3rd party tool to create profiles (software calibration) such as Color Munki and Spyder just to name a couple as there are a few out there.