Mac for iphone programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by BRANDON99, May 25, 2009.

1. BRANDON99 macrumors newbie

Hi

I would like to start programming for iphones ( I have many years programming in C, C++ etc.) So I will need to get a Mac
    I have read articals and it seems I will need an intel based Mac. Is there any way I could get away with a G4 or G5 untill I decide wether or not to invest in an intel Mac ?

Thanks

Stephen

2. fenrus110 macrumors regular

There are ways to do it I've seen, but it is not officially supported.

You're better off getting an Intel Mac with Leopard or Snow Leopard. Grab a Mac Mini if you need something quick.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm pretty sure an Intel Mac is required to develop for the iPhone.

EDIT: taken from the iPhone Development Guide

4. BRANDON99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac for iphone programming

Hi

Is the Mac Mini specification ok for this or would I be bertter off going for a MacPro although after 25 + years of pc's the cost of a Mac Pro does seem high !

Thanks

Stephen

5. xsmasher macrumors regular

xsmasher

I use a mini and it's fine - I wish I had spring for the 2GB memory, though. It gets slow when I have xcode, simulator, iTunes, and a dozen Safari tabs open.

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Yeah, any Intel Mac will work so if you can even look at the first generation Core Duo or Core 2 Duo's if you wish to spend a little less.

On the flipside, you can get a Mac Mini which is a sound investment and not overly expensive.

7. fenrus110 macrumors regular

you could stil try to pry it open and install your own memory, if you don't care about scratches and stuff

8. xsmasher macrumors regular

xsmasher

Thanks; I'll break out the paint scraper when I'm not in the middle of a project. For now, I have to grin and bear it.