Mac for Medical School - Windows Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PossibleConvert, May 30, 2010.

1. PossibleConvert macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any help. After months of reading and a bit of searching I've decided to actually post. I've always been a Windows guy, but am contemplating a change to Mac this fall when I start medical school. The build quality of Macs truly seems unmatched and I think I'm ready to make the jump. Sadly, some of the programs utilized by the school require Windows to run properly. I have searched the forum and guides and found mixed reviews as far as running Windows 7 on a Mac and was wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with Bootcamp or virtualization. Is the difference in Bootcamp utilization between the 15" and 13" MBPro processors enough to warrant the 15" size? I'm hoping to go as light and thin as possible and a 13" might be preferable. On that note, does anybody with a MacBook Air run Bootcamp and Windows 7 successfully and fast enough to be usable? Thanks again for help.

2. gusruck macrumors newbie

I bought a Mac (original release Macbook) right before I went into grad school. Post grad school I got into med school only to learn that most of the programs the use required Windows (the most important being the streamed classes). Not wanting to buy a new computer because I love my Mac, I bought VMFusion and a copy of Windows XP home edition. It has worked perfectly for me. Pretty much the only time I even use windows is when I am streaming classes.

After completing my first year a number of my classmates decided to make the switch to a mac on my recommendation. Some use VMFusion others use the free Virtual Box from Sun. None have had any problems and are very satisfied.

If you really want a Mac don't let them tell you windows is the only option as a virtualization program or bootcamp will work perfectly fine.

My school has told us for well over a year that they are switching from Windows only to codes that are friendly with both operating systems (I will believe it once I see it).

Hope this helps you out a bit, and good luck in your first year of Medical school.

3. PossibleConvert thread starter macrumors newbie

This thread answered most of my questions

After finding this thread I'll slink back into the shadows with my tail between my legs.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=920668

EDIT: Thanks gusrock. My main concern was with streaming lectures as well. Glad to know all went well with your purchase and I'm a bit more confident now with a Mac purchase.