Mac for round the world trip...advice please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by helca, Mar 8, 2011.

1. helca macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am new to the Mac world and I would like to ask you for help.
    We are going for long trip with our 4x4 www.delicajourney.webnode.cz and I am the one responsible for communication, internet connection, photo and video storage and much more.
    I want to buy MacBook pro 13" and have few questions:

1. We will not be using Mac while driving, so do I need SSD or normal disc will be OK?
    2. I am going to buy case, but which one will protect him from shocks? I do not want to spend money for Pelican case, they are to expensive here in Europe. Is there any alternative? I will have normal case for travelling, but need another one to keep him safe in car.
    3. Is there any issue with high altitude/5000m/, high temperature/Australian summer/ and low temperature/Far East of Russia -20C/.

I am sure I will have more questions later. If they sound stupid I am sorry, I am just a girl:)

Thanks
    Helena

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

1. I would go with a SSD because in your traveling with the laptop it will get banged around. That is a given.

2. I would go with something that will really protect your laptop. Look around your local net for alternatives but don't go with some kind of protection for it.

3. Just check out the Mac Book Pro Specs to get the temperature range.

3. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

If we should buy Mac with SSD which one should we buy:

New Mac book pro 13" with 128Gb SSD for 1200GBP
    or

Refurbished MacBook Air 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Originally released October 2010
    13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display

4GB memory
    256GB solid-state drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
    Built-in iSight Camera

for 1300GBP

We will have external HD to store photo and video.

Thanks

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

The MBP because if your external Hd is firewire it is going to be a lot faster than usb

5. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

You should visit an Apple store and really take a look at the recent Macbook Airs with SSD. If you are going on an extended world trip, you will really appreciate just how thin and light the MBAir is for travel. I own a 13" Air and I'm never going back to anything larger for portable computing.

6. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

We will have laptop just in car, we are not going to carry it anywhere. I went to Apple store today and I think, that I will get more for my money if we buy MBP. Am I wrong? Size does not matter:):):)

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

If size and weight are not important then MBP's offer much better value for money.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Oh yes you are, you will carry it every time you leave the car unattended, even for a few minutes :)

I also hope you'll be backing up your photos and stuff? Two external hard disks?

9. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

We will have build in safe in car , so they will have to nick car as well.
    I want to buy external hard disc, but I did not study which one, yet. I have no idea which one to buy.

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

11. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

12. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been reading forum all day, because we have to buy MBP by the end of the week. I went to Apple store and ask them, if we need SSD and answer was not.
    Apple here in UK want 200GBP for 128Gb SSD. Is it possible to buy normal MBP and upgrade to SSD before we go to our trip in March 2012/ I hope at that time SSD will be cheaper/?

Thanks for answer.

13. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Yes, you can switch out hard drives manually :)

A lot of people do it that way because it is cheaper to buy the SSD drive yourself and install it than just configure your computer with it through Apple, probably like 50% cheaper actually.

14. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You can buy a 128GB SSD for around £150 at the moment so may be much cheaper than that a year from now.

The advantage in buying the MBP now is that when you replace the HD with an SSD in a years time you can buy a USB caddy for £5 and then use the "old" HD in it - so a 320GB external drive for £5.

15. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

How To Install an SSD in a Unibody MacBook Pro

16. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all of you. New MBP 13" just sitting on my lap and I am starting to learn what to do with him:)

17. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

can somebody tell me please how to open webpage on full screen. I have searched forum, but can't find the answer

thank you

18. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Just drag the bottom right hand corner of the browser to fit the screen, It will still show the bottom dock and menu bar though.

19. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

That was so simple, thank you very much.

20. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

I need your help again. I was transferring photos from SD card and import went wrong. iPhoto does not respond, I can not close it, it says" pleas wait for import to complete" but I am not importing anything/ I have removed SD card/. I was trying to restart laptop, but iPhoto block it. How can I close iPhoto?
    Thanks

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Right click (2 finger and click) on app icon in dock, and choose force quit.

If that doesn't work

2. Go to Apple menu (upper left), and choose Force Quit.

Note: I've never seen SD card messing up iPhoto. After you get all the photos, you should format your card because something is probably wrong with it. Also, might want to mark this thread resolved (edit original post) and start a new thread next time.

22. helca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much option 2 worked.