Mac for video editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rhinothing, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Rhinothing macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Sorry for the relatively uninformed post, but my knowledge of such matters is so bad I need all the help I can get!

I'm looking to get a Mac - preferably not a desktop - to start my own video editing/video capture. I'm aware of the software I need to get to capture video, but what Mac is best for running the likes of Premier Pro or the likes to a high standard?

Ideally my budget would be around £800 but happier to go higher for better results.

Thanks for your help!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Unfortunately Desktop is the way to go.

You will be buying second hand at that price point and the best bang for your buck for video editing is always going to be a desktop.

You can do video editing on any of their current mobile line up of course and on most of the ones for the last few years without to much trouble it will just take a lot longer for rendering and may beachball doing after effects etc. Really it is more to do with what sort of video editing you are doing and how much it is going to stress the CPU and GPU. A few minutes of video shot in 720p can be done on anything no issue on almost any you buy, an hour of 4K video with after effects etc really needs a 15 inch macbook pro with dicrete graphics card as a minimum.

3. blanka macrumors 68000

For video 3 things are important:
    - raw cpu power for encoding: only mac in your budget with quad i7 is Mac Mini
    - fast i/o: SSD or even better pci ssd or raid 0 ssd. Again, with diy options, mini is cheapest to get 1GB r/w per second on.
    - monitor with 24p/25p support if you're working for uk market. Not possible on apple screens: external monitor needed.