Mac for work mac for home

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rivercottage, Jun 15, 2007.

1. rivercottage macrumors member

Hello!

Im currently using a recent intel powerbook for my work (photography/design) i currently have all my itunes housed in it aswell and im running out of space rather quickly. Would it make sense to have another home mac, say an iMac or mac mini just to stick all my music/home photos/videos on? does anybody else do this, or am i just looking for an excuse to get another mac :)

Thanks

:)
    RiverC

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't mean to nitpick, but it'll be a MacBook or MacBook Pro if it has an Intel chip, not a PowerBook. Anyway, you could buy an external drive for all this data instead, but a new Mac would be more fun! :D

3. Queso macrumors G4

I have my iMac linked up to an external drive/USB hub device, and store all my "useless" data on that. It also has a backup partition for the drive in the iMac itself.

I think that would work particularly well for a laptop. You plug in one cable and all your data and devices are immediately available.

4. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend an external hard drive as it will a little less expensive. Unless you feel you need to fork over the cash. You'll get more storage, and if you get a nice portable usb2.0 one it will most likely be powered by the Macbook/Macbook Pro. So only one cord and a pocket sized drive.