Mac for World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prechrchet, Oct 31, 2009.

1. prechrchet macrumors regular

I am a fairly avid player of World of Warcraft. I am currently playing this on a Mac Mini (slow as Christmas) and a 23' widescreen monitor (which is awesome).

I would very much like to upgrade to a system that runs Wow smoother, but I'd like to keep my monitor. (I can NOT afford one of the Mac Pro towers, as much as I would like to). Any suggestions and/or options?

I've considered a newer Mac Mini, a Hackintosh, and a Psystar, each of which has their drawbacks.

Any thoughts?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd go with a hackintosh. You can keep your monitor, it's upgradable, and it's about $600 less...

3. chill. macrumors 6502

i see two extremes here in terms of price and lack of hassle

best price - hackintosh no doubt, you can set up a very powerful rig though any of the 3 options can run wow pretty wow. also has extendability so you can upgrade and maybe use it for next generation of wow or mmo or game

lack of hassle - mac mini, beautiful case, no fear of updates breaking compatibility

middle ground - psystar, more expensive than hackintosh, might not be able to survive updates in osx

if it were me, i'd go with the hackintosh because i have a decent amount of free time, and like to fiddle around with stuff. you'd also save a ton of money. if you were less familiar with computers or don't want to spend a lot of time debugging, then get the mac mini. looking at it this way, psystar doesn't present itself as much of an option

4. matt1219 macrumors regular

Definitely Hackintosh. A new Mac Mini will only frustrate you in the future. With a Hackintosh, you can get Mac Pro specs for possibly half the price. Plus, Hackintoshing is fun. I love my Macbook Mini. ;)

5. travisjacques macrumors member

I would look towards the mac mini if all you want to do is play wow. The specs on the new mini will slice WoW like butter, and the resale value on these machines is amazing. When it comes time to get a newer machine, you could sell the mini for about half of your next machine.